Help putting down Pergo laminate flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what i believe is a fairly complicated floor layout and I need some help with the direction to lay my new laminate I just bought. I uploaded a floor layout to my profile images along with a description of each one including door and window layouts. Not shown in these pictures is another room (mentioned in the hall layout description) which will also receive the new flooring. This room is approx 12'/12' with a sliding door to the left of entering the room (perpendicular to the other 2 sliding doors) and double windows on the other 2 outside walls.

To briefly describe the other areas.
Entering the front door, there is a small entry room with a bathroom door to the left(bathroom not getting laminate) a doorway to the above described room, a hallway the length of which is opposite the main door. and adjacent to that hall is stairs going up. along the left side of the hallway (top side of the hall in the picture) is an open kitchen area (also not getting laminate, currently tiled). the end of the hall opens to a dining room area. this is a roughly square area with a sliding door to the right. at the opposite end the dining room narrows to accommodate a closet on one side and continues/reopens into the living room. there is a fireplace with tile in front of it placed at an angle(shown in pic) and a 2nd sliding door on the right (same wall as the dining room) the far wall has a bay window with an electric baseboard unit under it.
It is my intention to place laminate on this entire area (excluding the tile in front of the fire place, the kitchen area, and the bathroom). Currently this area is carpeted. The stairs are also carpeted but will eventually be either wood or laminate as well. Incase it matters the floor joists run perpendicular to the walls with the sliding doors in the living room/dining room.
I am using pergo Presto boards (no glue floating). thanks for any assistance you guys can provide and if any more info is needed please ask.

Sponsored Links
You can lay the floor whatever direction you want, provided you have allowed enough expansion gap around the edge and are using door thresholds as per Pergo's specifications, floating a floor through these areas is purely a personal choice.

Pergo would recommend that you lay the floor towards the major light source in the property (towards the front of the property) but that won't make a difference as to how much product you need etc.

one more question, I finally got around to pulling up all the old carpet and I have a couple of points where the subfloor (plywood) is raised alittle. most of these spots are under the 3/16th that pergo says is the max, but I have a couple that are like 5/16th and one that is about a 7 or 8. whats the best way to fix these? can I just put a belt sander to them or will that damage the subflooring?

Sponsored Links
You should NOT USE an underlayment that contains a DPM over existing sheet material (plywood in your case) or existing floorboards!

This can cause condensation and problems in the long run

Or Pergo do a very comprehensive accessories range including whisper walk underlay and a new heavy duty roll product, just get everything you need from Pergo with the packs of flooring

Sadly im somewhat limited by whats available at home deop since im in the boonies and dont think ive got enough time to mail order.
underlay asside do you think i can just beltsander the lumps down or am i going to have to cut out and replace the wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back