Laminate direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know is a well trod topic but I keep looking at my layout and just cannot decide. Please help:love:

Attached is a layout of the area to be done totals some 32m2
Currently kitchen is done is some stick on vinyl and dining room in carpet with a changeover strip of wood.
I want to change both using same laminate throughout.

I was originally planning to go with being parallel to wall A but then wondered if the 750mm wide area under the window and into the dining room would look strange, so many small strips side by side.
So came up with plan B to run parallel with wall B. Though when this gets into dining room this direction is opposite to what one is always told about direction and light entering the room.
Point X-X is where it currently changes from vinyl to carpet. What do you think of a direction change here or possibly at point Y-Y?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CCF_000014.pdf
    249.3 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
In reality, the small strips won't matter, you'll not notice, run the planks in the direction of most common travel through the space/areas would be my advice with that particular floor layout.

I'd run it in the same direction as that little corridor in the middle, which is what tends to get done on apartment new builds. Corridors with short planks laid across them always look a bit odd to my mind

Sponsored Links
Might all have been a pointless exercise. The laminate I have got, from B&Q, is pretty dire, not cheap either. Tried to fit a few pieces as to how they looked, in each direction, step on them and the end lips break off:mad: So will be going back.
So am now looking at a stick down thick vinyl that comes in plank size pieces. Any suggestions? So the original question still applies to this anyway.

Get hold of some Quick Step laminate, not the cheapest but very good quality and hard wearing.

Quickstep impressive or signature are both worth getting. Best laminate on the market imo

Have used Quickstep in the past and I too found it to be good stuff with an audible satifying click when engaged, unless this B&Q stuff. That will be going back tomorrow.
Have had to decide that laminate is out and I need some sort of good quality glue down vinyl. Spent all yesterday getting up the old vinyl tiles/planks now that all remains is the adhesive stuck to the concrete.
Laminate is out as the floor is a right dogs dinner regarding levels. It is all over the place, self levelling compound can only correct so much. The floor can vary in height by 15mm over a 1m length. Whoever laid the concrete slab needs taking out and shooting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back