wood panelling on the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just bought an old house. The ceiling in the upstairs are all wood panelled. I'm going to change this to plasterboard and skim over it. Whats everyone's recommendations for doing this?

I see two options; 1) rip off the wood panels (so the plasterboard can be attached to the joists) or 2) attach the plasterboard directly to the panelling (i.e. leave it in)?

The latter would save a lot of hassle, which is great, but would this be a fire hazard and how do you think this will effect the roof insulation?

Cheers for any help!

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd try painting the panelling first. Original features are at a premium. Plasterboard is no match.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answers. Quick Q: What's the advantages in reboarding twice? Why's one not enough?

I'll be keen to leave timber panelling in for ulterior motives; The loft space is full of soot (probably 1/2 cm through entire loft space!). I'll clean it out eventually, but I'll prefer it not to be a priority at the moment. (which it will become if I remove the panelling).Hence I'm thinking of attaching plasterboard direct to wood panelling.

Thanks for your answers. Quick Q: What's the advantages in reboarding twice? Why's one not enough?

I'll be keen to leave timber panelling in for ulterior motives; The loft space is full of soot (probably 1/2 cm through entire loft space!). I'll clean it out eventually, but I'll prefer it not to be a priority at the moment. (which it will become if I remove the panelling).Hence I'm thinking of attaching plasterboard direct to wood panelling.
there is no need to board twice also i think if you can get away with boarding over the panels then go for it, any chance of some pics of the said paneling?

And when you sell, someone who has an interest in architectural history will happily remove the plasterboard and enjoy the panelling. It's a win/win so do that. It must be decent sort of house to be embellished that way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back