Should I remove panelling to add insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok
This is probably an open question but annoying me and as there's only 1 of me, asking on here for thoughts.
Renovating 1930's house, no cavity
Add Celotex PL4000 50mm insulated plasterboard to external walls.
However in the hall is wood cladding.
I quite like it as a feature and everyone who comes round likes it and asks if I'm leaving it.

The issue is it's on the gable end, I'm insulating all the wall, but obviously I can't do the bit where the Panelling is.

My random thoughts are:
If I rip out, adding 50mm+12.5mm+D&D, the new wall would overlap the stairs, where as boarding above panelling, overlap is not an issue due to thickness of pannelling and trim.

However if I am insulating everywhere but the panelling, is it a waste?
Would I notice the difference?
It is only the hallway which are always chilly and I can make the rad larger.

As you can see I'm probably over thinking, but what do you guys think?
Leave as is, the heat loss of the panelled area isn't a prob for a hallway.
Or remove board, repanel as will be worth it.
Or 3rd is there anything I can squirt down the back of the panelling to offer some insulation (foam beads??)

Cheers
p.s. will be sanding, panting panels of course :)

Sponsored Links
I'd keep it personally and forget insulating that wall, you don't need your hallway/stairs to be as warm as say the living room anyway.

The panelling probably offers better insulation properties than just plaster anyway so will be better than nothing.

The issue with the insulation overhanging the stairs would be enough to make me not want to do it anyway.[/list]

Sponsored Links
Cheers
I'm leaving in place.

I'm insulating the upper part of the hallway as only a few quid and all helps.

I know I would be kicking myself if I didn't and it was arctic in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back