Wood Preserver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just about finished cutting timber to size to support a sloping roof to divert rain away from vents.

I was almost finished when I realised I probably should have used C16 treated timber. Not wanting to buy more (C16) wood and go through the sizing again, is there a good wood preserver I can use to paint over the battens? 90% of the wood will be under the sloping roof but I want to be safe rather than sorry later on.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
The only one I can find is this the one on the right. But that differs in that it says the following:

xyYXa8U.png

Not sure which to get. The recommended one on the left is difficult to get hold of, the one on the right is easier to get hold of but wasn't the recommended one.

Would either work? Part of the wooden battens will be exposed to the weather.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would suggest the "wood protection" would be more appropriate then "woodstain".

The choice now is more varied and complicated than when we used it.

We used Classic Dark Palisander on the exposed structural timbers of the post and beam house we built in 1980. The timbers are still in perfect condition ( have been re-painted only 2 or 3 times since ) Re-painting was easy as there is no need to strip the old paint off

Wood preserver and decorative stain are not the same thing.
The Sadolin data sheet says "Field of application: Decoration of timber surfaces"

I haven't been impressed with Sadolin, though it does have the advantage of a high price.

I use Cuprinol and similar preservatives. Some own-brands are similar.

if you look at the datasheet it will tell you what fungicide and insecticide it contains
(timber preservers are intentionally toxic)
Sadolin contains neither, though it does have an ingredient commonly used in paints to prevent them suffering mildew stain on the surface.

I find the spirit-based preservatives clearly penetrate deeper than the water-based ones.

If Sadolin prevents surface mildew only, I think I should look for something more rigorous. Perhaps something from the Cuprinol line.

looks very suitable, contains a fungicide and and insecticide, though I haven't been able to find the datasheet saying what.

I like the fact that it is available in colours and leaves a water-repellent coating (this makes it unsuitable for painting or varnishing over). I used a product like that on my garden gate and car-port. Usually around £30 per 5-litre can. You do need to stir and shake very throughly as the pigment sinks.

I think I used the Wickes own-brand but you have to check the ingredients are what you want
(this Ronseal one is but is a different product)
https://wickes.scene7.com/is/conten...ce-Preserver-Green-5L~GPID_1100077021_COSHH_0

I think it is similar to https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products...MIrbzQ9s2m5AIVBbTtCh3bagWxEAAYASAAEgKODvD_BwE
but I can't find the datasheet.

Sometimes a datasheet for an own-brand is identical to a branded version....

If you can find them, they are very informative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back