Wood Siding

BTL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some wood siding completed on a property renovation - it was to be completed to Trada Regulations.

A month after the work was complete, the nails used have begun to rust, see attached pictures. I have spoken to the builder whom advises that the work completed is acceptable and to Trada Regulations - it is only "advised" to use stainless steel ring shank nails. The building surveyor I used tells that this is correct and they have completed the work accordingly.

The builder and surveyor I believe are just wanting to complete the job and move on and do not seem to care about the aesthetics of the work completed. All work was done under the JCT Contract Minor Works.

Any professional advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4329.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4329.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 167
  • thumbnail_IMG_4330.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4330.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 159
  • thumbnail_IMG_4331.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4331.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 166
  • thumbnail_IMG_4332.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4332.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 165
  • thumbnail_IMG_4333.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4333.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro, but all metal fixings used on cladding SHOULD be corrosion resistant - that can mean many things and SS is the most expensive option, although options are also dependent on the timber used.

After that your question is more about contract law rather than DIY - I'd give Trada a ring and see what they say, also call Citizen's Advice - at the end of the day, regardless of what any paperwork says they need to have used reasonable skill and care in their work - installing something that goes rusty 1 month later when they KNEW that SS was advised is shoddy imo.

Trada does only say non-corrosive preferred. What does your specification say. What did the contractors offer say. If it is silent on the type of fastener, I think it'll be a long haul to prove negligence against reasonable skill and care.

I wonder if rubbing them down and overpainting would prevent further corrosion?

Sponsored Links
it was to be completed to Trada Regulations
What regulations specifically?

TRADA issue guidance notes not regulations, but also extensively refer to BS and EN standards, so was it a general comment or any specific TRADA document that was specified? If you've used JCT MW, then there must be other contract specification documents. Do they specify quality of materials and workmanship? NBS clauses?

TRADA DG3 -
  • "Even if the cladding is to have a surface coating, stainless steel nails are preferred rather than plated steel"
  • "For all boards to be left without a surface coating austenitic stainless steel nails should be used"

From Timber Frame Construction
  • "Stainless steel nails are recommended, particularly for woods containing tannin, such as Western red cedar, Douglas fir or European oak. While hot dipped galvanised nails can be used, driving the nail can damage the coating and any corrosion may result in staining of the wood. Stainless steel nails should always be used if the wood is to be left unfinished."

So either way, plain steel nails are not to be used according to TRADA

In addition, you can imply that TRADA guidance includes reference to the various BS/EN standards for external fixings - which are always supposed to be either non-ferrous or galvanised for external use

But fundamentally, you have a shiite builder and a numpty surveyor.

"Advised" or not, that does not mean you can pick and choose. If the advice is to use SS, then going against that advice is not in accordance with the TRADA guidance you have specified, its just ignoring it.

Also look at www.tdca.org.uk/timber-cladding/cladding-fixings/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back