Wood splinters...

Softus, do you seriously not wear gloves because you think it emasculates you?

I find it very strange that people can consider themselves too tough to wear ppe.

Always wear gloves when handling rough sawn and rarely get splinters. I also like girls and drink bitter and my pillowcases are coated in ali oxide.

Sponsored Links
splinters.....paaaaah! stuff in your eye. I got a small bit of grit in my eye today. Absolute agony. ended up at the eye hospital, they got it out in a few minutes, instant relief. Splinters........try poking one in your eye you big jessie! :LOL:

Deluks said:
Softus, do you seriously not wear gloves because you think it emasculates you?
No, it's because they're cumbersome and I'm lazy.

I find it very strange that people can consider themselves too tough to wear ppe.
Whoa there - this is about gloves, not all PPE.

Always wear gloves when handling rough sawn and rarely get splinters.
I very rarely handle rough sawn - splinters only ever happen to me in loft spaces, and it's hard enough clambering about while carrying tools and parts without having to remember/don gloves.

funnily enough i seldom wear gloves, and very rarely get splinters from rough sawn timber etc. I definetly wear gloves when laying turf or doing concrete though. Nothing worse than when your hands crack up and dry up. I also carry a can of hand cream in the van as well. (but no lipstick)

Sponsored Links
Use a microscope and a No 11 scalpel blade. You should be able to cut without feeling much, and the blade is sharp enough to stick in the side of the splinter and pull it out.

Something to bear in mind is the blood circulating in a finger is not adequate to deal with splinters, so leaving it to go septic could cause long term problems. Worth remembering when you have left it till the only option is sawing your finger off with a junior hacksaw. :(

oilman said:
Use a microscope and a No 11 scalpel blade. You should be able to cut without feeling much, and the blade is sharp enough to stick in the side of the splinter and pull it out.

Something to bear in mind is the blood circulating in a finger is not adequate to deal with splinters, so leaving it to go septic could cause long term problems. Worth remembering when you have left it till the only option is sawing your finger off with a junior hacksaw. :(

Ratchet pipe cutters leave a nicer finish.

Sponsored Links
Back