Wood stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of a problem chaps. Am doing up a flight of stairs. The wood is piranha pine, lovely colours but not readily available. So am making do with bourdeux pine (very similar). The problem I have is that sanding Bourdeux is an absolute pain. Two passes with the belt sander clogs even the most course belts (ie. Zirconia). Tried both belt cleaner and file scratch block to no avail. This Bourdeux pine has to be the most resinous wood I have ever come across. Zirc. belts being rather expensive I have to find a better way. Any ideas??????? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Got a bit of a problem chaps. Am doing up a flight of stairs. The wood is piranha pine, lovely colours but not readily available.
Can you not wait until it's available? I don't know why they are not available. Piranha Pine is ideal for stairs which is hard wearing. Bourdeux Pine is very soft and easily dented

Thanks for the reply Masona. Not using Bourdeux for treads only for skirting, risers and panels. Yes it is very soft but is so resinous it's clogging belts and bandsaw,etc. Haven't as yet located a supplier for Piranha. I've been told if I can get it it's very expensive.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have any problem sourcing parana from a decent timber merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back