Wood threshold on brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope this is the right place.

Have just removed old UPVC patio doors (the wall is now interior), which, after removing the lumpy mortar, has exposed the brickwork it was sat on.

I would like to put in a piece of wood as a "threshold" of sorts (the entire opening will be framed out with wood) - i'm happy working the wood to have it lip over the flooring in each room etc... but what I'm not 100% on is how to secure it to the now exposed brick work on the lower horizontal?

I'm inclined towards refilling the frogs, level this time, and securing into that, or simply fixing a "sacrificial" strip of (say) plywood without filling the bricks, and securing to that. It will be out of sight due to floor height differences.

But as I clearly don't know what to do for the best, please point me in the right direction :)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is it above or below the DPC?
Above the DPC then fix by screwing in place (plugs into the brickwork below.

Below the DPC, firstly put a lenght of DPC down - it should go up the wals to about 6 inches above the existing DPC. Fix the playwood (WBP/Marine ply) with plugs and screws, once the plugs are in the holes, cap the plugs with a good blob of silicon sealer, put the ply in place and fix down with Stainless Steel screws.

It is above the DPC, so will go straight into the brick, thanks.

My concern is going only into the mortar between the bricks (as the frogs are empty) - is that going to cause a problem with stability (as this will be walked on) or am I over thinking this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back