Wood to carpet transition threshold - what holds carpet down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be fitting an engineered wood floor soon. I am keeping some adjacent rooms carpeted and will buy the wood-to-carpet threshold pieces made from solid wood that have the T-ish shapes but are chosen for the relative wood and carpet height, which will allow for the wood expansion and hide the carpet edge.

I took out the old metal carpet-to-carpet thresholds around the room I am about to do. My question is what, if anything, will continue to hold the carpet down at the doorway once completed and the threshold piece is in?

Just rely on the carpet gripper on either side of the door? Or fit a small wooden gripper under the threshold, though the usual width might mean they would the width cutting down to avoid anyone standing on one?

Sponsored Links
Carpet should not move, you can put a few staples or tacks in to hold it which will be hidden under bar.

A strip of gripper with the carpet fixed over the top and the door profile fitted will hold everything in place.

Thanks for the responses. I will try something hidden under the profile, probably some gripper first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I will try something hidden under the profile, probably some gripper first.

best to use a square nosing and fit the carpet against the straight edge. A T-Profile won’t be supported on the carpet side and will split along the grain in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back