Wood Wax/Varnish Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've bought some Ronseal Brushing Wax (as we've been told it gives a non shine finish compared to varnish) for the new natural wooden window cills we've just had fitted. We're after the dark oak brown look so bought this and just applied one coat. Instead of giving the Dark Oak colour that is on the front of the tub its more of an orange colour, so we don't want to put a second coat on and make it worse.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a non shine wax/varnish that will actually look like intended shade it advertises?? And is it a case of just sanding down what we originally put on to remove it??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You'll need something like Liberon Wax Remover to get rid of the wax. I'd then wipe-down with something like cellulose thinners to remove any deposits followed by staining to the appropriate colour with a wood dye and finally refinishing with wax. I feel that is is easier to stain wood to the appropriate colour and use a colourless wax such as Liberon Black Bison wax than to try colouring using a coloured wax

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back