Wood window treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post, just bought a house that needs some window repair.

I'm not sure the right approach.

Is it sand down, clean up, paint/protect then thats it or sand down, clean up, paint, then varnish?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 12.47.58.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 12.47.58.png
    755.6 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Sand and repair as you go, then consider Sadolin Extra durable wood stain......its a first class product.
That sort of colour seems to be around the rosewood tint, I'd guess.
John :)

Ah thanks John! funny as I saw this in B&Q earlier and thought it was the right stuff.

What sort of repair do you think might be needed?

The frame and cill seems to be pretty sound as far as I can see, so make sure that any rain that runs down the glass panes cant get behind the glazing beads due to missing putty and so on.
Also see that the frame is well siliconed to the brickwork all the way round.
The frame does need a thorough sanding, of course! If there are any cracks or 'shakes,' consider car body filler to fill them up.
Personally I wouldn't go near traditional varnish - this Sadolin stuff soaks right in and leaves a satin sort of finish. For that frame, go for at least two coats though, and maybe another on the cill. The coating will be good for years!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers John, windows are getting on a bit and a few have gone around the house, i might replace them in a year or two, but need to get them presentable.

regards

dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back