Woodburner and double glazing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a traditional brick semi - 1960s build. We have a fireplace in each of the downstairs rooms located on the common shared wall. Our neighbour has the same and all four fireplaces come out on the ridge in a common chimney stack with four pots. his front pot and mine are literally inches apart.

My neighbour has just had the new upgraded double gazing fitted and says his house is now draught free and "Lovely and warm"

So all was peace and harmony until we had our first fires of the winter in our inset woodburner in late November.

After a few days we got a knock on the door. "I'm smelling smoke in my lounge" says the neighbour. "You just had your chimney swept didn't you?"

The sweep used a rotary nylon thing a bit like a strimmer, powered by a battery drill. There was no signs of any falling debris - just soot. Then he smoke tested, gave us a "Certificate" and left with a load of my money !

Now, we had a cowl on our lounge chimney, which the sweep told me was "not recommended" for solid fuels. It was basically a half round drain channel upside down, on a sleeve which slotts into the existing pot. However it was apparently not "outlawed" but "not recommended" - He was very happy with the draw on the chimney though and we thought no more of it, until the neighbour spoke of this "smoke smell". When I looked, half of my exhaust was directed towards the cowl on top of his chimney.

We tried a few tests, because I felt that the fumes were being drawn DOWN his chimney and he was telling me "His daughter said" and spoke of poorly laid bricks etc "between the floor and ceiling". My position is/was that the only thing which had really changed was his double glazing having "Tightened " his house - The woodburner is a good make, four years old and we have used it constantly during the winter for three winters with no problems at all.

He has a gas boiler (balanced flue) a gas stove and a gas fire in the lounge, which he says they rarely use.

So I said can you leave a window near the boiler ajar tonight ? which he did and did not smell smoke that night. The next night he did ! But the air was still that night and there was a breeze the first night.

Some nights he smelled smoke, others it was "not as bad" occasionally he didn't at all and this seems to relate to when there is a breeze or not.

Anyway, There was a "Double glazing van" in his drive the day after and I though "Ah good he's having Vents fitted" (There are No Trickle Vents in his new glazing) and we both have cavity fill insulation.

The next day - he's saying "It was the worst ever last night" which surpprised me and I asked him about the vents to which he said "No, they hadn't got the right door when we had the glazing fitted, so they've just fitted it. - I said "Oh so you've just made the house Even more airtight then - the only way the poor house can breathe is down the chimney !"

This was Xmas Eve and we stopped using the fire. The missus spent Xmas wrapped in blankets and we have reluctantly used the gas heating.

I then had the Cowl removed and we lit the burner again. Thee first 2 nights were fine, then I saw him in the garden and asked - He said they never smelled a thing. Then he came around next day "we smelled it again last night " - Still air ! Apparently, it was nowhere near as bad as it had been before and "It came on about 6 pm then it went away and it was pretty strong when we got up this morning" - I think they cook a meal around 5pm and they go to bed at 9pm.

Well that's it then - I have been trying to find "Building Services Engineer" who can give us a definitive answer, but am struggling - If anyone knows of one - please let me know - we are in central England.

I feel I have done what I can and that my chimney is being used for the purpose it was designed for. The fire is Class A+ (80.9% efficient) fitted by a Hetas registered fitter and the flue was smoke tested.

I just want to know whose problem this is ! He wants it to be mine, but I think it should rightly be the problem of the Window fitter. (Who is related apparently)

Over to you people for discussion and recomends please ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My suggestion would be to talk to a woodstove company and get a HETAS engineer out to do some testing.

Do you have a lined and insulated flue?

Would you be able to recommend an INDEPENDENT "hetas" engineer ? - One for example who does not sell "Fireplaces " ?

As I said - I really do Not think the chimney is at fault and I believe the issue is the performance of the double glazing "Hardening"

- Thank you for your response, but I would ask you to read the post again and think about how the symptoms relate to the two issues - I need a quasi-judicial REAL "Engineer" - not just someone trying to sell me something !

OR some suggestions as to how to test the two conflicting scenarios - so that my neighbour and I can identify and fix what is the real fault, instead of ending up in a serious dispute !

Last edited:
Whilst I'll agree with Notch7 regarding investigations on your half I do think the neighbours have caused many of their own problems.

Their 'balanced flue' boiler will not be sucking air down the chimney (the inlet is co-axial with the outlet) but the gas fire will be venting up the chimney and taking air from inside the house. Do they have extractor fans? Extractor fans will be sucking air out of the house - with new double glazing the seals will be very good and not allow an air flow to feed air (Oxygen) to feed the fire. A part of the gas fire service should include that the fire has an effective 'Draw' with doors and windows closed and the extractor fans operating. (It's certainly one of the tests that is performed for a landlords gas certificate.)
I have a vague recollection that the double glazing company should have pointed out that vents on the windows are required when fitted into properties that have fires or boilers that draw air from inside the house.

Re your chimney cowl - have a look at https://www.wtknowles.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Knowles-Chimney-Pot-Types-19.7.16.pdf and the doc's listed in it.

Sponsored Links
Hi It was similar to the KYK 185S - but has now been removed so it's no longer relevant. No extractor fans.

JUst the gas cooker - creating CO2 and the natural expansion of Air due to "Cooking / warming" which appears in the "We smelled it about 6pm - then it disappeared" - as the temperature returned to "Ambient" - then the "We smelled it in the morning" - After the central heating shut down.

Edit - the gas fire - is just the reason why they don't want to "Cap" the chimney. I don't think it has been turned on at all during this problem

No extractor fans.
Thats a predisposer to damp issues.

Just the gas cooker - creating CO2 and the natural expansion of Air due to "Cooking / warming" which appears in the "We smelled it about 6pm - then it disappeared" - as the temperature returned to "Ambient" - then the "We smelled it in the morning" - After the central heating shut down.

Edit - the gas fire - is just the reason why they don't want to "Cap" the chimney. I don't think it has been turned on at all during this problem
Well if the house is now that well sealed then the gas cooker will cause a draft down the chimney…

Suggest they need to get a gas fire and cooker service done which includes a 'spillage' (draw) test.
Have a search on the web for info about gas fires, double glazing and carbon monoxide.

I have a vague recollection that the double glazing company should have pointed out that vents on the windows are required when fitted into properties that have fires or boilers that draw air from inside the house.

Building Regs state that all new double glazing MUST have "Trickle vents" New Legislation 2006 - but due to a rant from DG industry - that legislation was demoted to "Advisory" and now the rules are that; Trickle vents do not need to be installed in replacement glazing provided that "Ventillation should be no worse than it was before the glazing was installed" - Which rather makes the installation pointless IMO.

You Are right though - the DG co should have investigated and made due recommendations. Again IMHO.

Thats a predisposer to damp issues.

Well if the house is now that well sealed then the gas cooker will cause a draft down the chimney…

Suggest they need to get a gas fire and cooker service done which includes a 'spillage' (draw) test.
Have a search on the web for info about gas fires, double glazing and carbon monoxide.

Thanks - i'll do that tomorrow - I'm about knajjered now - Actually I'm less bothered abot CO - More about CO2 - which is also a killler, but by suffocation and any flame will create CO2 as will Normal breathing by inhabitants. The neighbours are pushing 90 and fairly frail, so I really don't want to be questioned about "Dead bodies" by some idiot who thinks "Wood buners is poison" - I just want the real answer, so we can do what is neccessary to sort it - AND keep them alive !

Can you get a much taller chimney pot fitted? That would allow your fumes to rise well aboe the neighbour's pot.

Can you get a much taller chimney pot fitted? That would allow your fumes to rise well aboe the neighbour's pot.

That is something I have thought about as well.

Yes I suppose I can, but oddly "extensions" are hard to come by - I suppose I can have something made in stainless steel - at a cost !

The problem from my point of view is that it will be obvious that it does not "Fit in" with the surroundings - Would I need "planning" ? and at the end of the day, I am not yet convinced it is MY problem !

The other problem is

"How much taller ? "

Thanks for the suggestion though - Any ideas how I can make "Stainless" look "natural " ?

I really don't think anybody will notice if you get a taller chimney pot fitted. You will need to talk to your sweep. Also, as we are discovering, ensuring that you burn your stove good and hot with plenty of air will ensure that the fumes rise fast in a coloumn rather than coming out cool and lingering around the pot.

On a still day, the wind isn't blowing away the smoke, so as others have said, fresh air is being drawn down the chimney, or it's sinking down on a still day. If you've got a half round drain channel on the chimney, then that suggests no liner, but if there was an issues with the chimney, then they'd be smelling the smoke every time you lit it, so I think the chimney is safe. If you'd just installed the stove, then the blame could lie with you, but having had no problem over the last few years, and only since he's had the DG installed, then that all points to his changes highlighting the issue; but it's a fine line as to who's it is. If you tell him that the only way fresh air can get into his house is down the chimney, he may realise that he's essentially causing the problem, but whether he'll take that on board, is another matter all together.

You could ring HETAS and check for an authorised installer in your area, and they'd have no bias to sell you anything. And if you post a picture of the chimneys, and we can see if there are any sensible alterations you can make to divert the smoke away, but it may not cure the problem if the chimney is his only source of fresh air.

The problem is that the human nose is incredibly sensitive to the smells of smoke and rotting food, which is a survival thing. So even a few parts per million of smoke in the air will set off your neighbour's spidey senses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back