Woodburner install - what do i need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

With the rising cost of fuel I've decided to install a woodburner but need some advice on what i need to do.

My house is an early 70's and downstairs in the hallway is a cupboard which use to have an oil burner in it which i had removed a few years ago when I had central heating installed.

The back wall of the cupboard is part of our sitting room so would like to knock a hole in it and install a woodburner.

Firstly, as the cupboard originally had a large oil burner in it would it be suitable to house a woodburner or would anything need doing, i.e fire bricks etc etc?

Secondly, will the original clay pipe from the oil burner that runs right up through the house and out the roof be suitable for me to connect the woodburner straight too? or will it need something else?

Appreciate any advice please

Many thanks

M9G

Sponsored Links
You can install the woodburner yourself but, these are notifiable works and need to go through bco who inspect the works and issue a certificate of compliance.

I would suggest to get a Hetas registered installer, not only will he advise on what needs doing, he will carry out all the works correctly and issue the completion certificate.

Ok thanks, that makes sense but do you think much work will need doing based on what i already have i.e can i use the original clay pipe? etc etc

Regards

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I see that would make sense, so does the liner run up the inside of the clay pipe or would it sleeve on the outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back