Woodburner with horizontal flu building regs

The one that came to mind was a very tall internal flue ( about 9 metres in open indoor space. ) where the manufacturer's instructions required rigid fixing where it went through the roof. Building control wanted a flexible fixture to allow for thermal expansion of the flue. BCO won the day.

Sponsored Links
OP, There are no dimensions given and a picture from outside would give people a better idea to help you.
Each manufacturer has individual clearances around their stoves depending whether its from combustable or non combustable materials...convector type stoves usually can be fitted closer.
For hearth sizes, this simplifies things:
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-hearth-size.html
A flue going at 45 degrees through the wall is the prefered way but involves more expence than horozontal as more wall needs cutting out or a core drilling rig is needed .
You must have good reason to abandon your old chimney but I would line it rather than have an ugly steel one running up the wall

The last Selkirk 150mm flue I fitted cost around £1500 in parts alone which didnt require any ofsets to take it around soffits
litl

As long as you can support the chimney breast in the room/loft above, and still get the flue pipe safely past the steel/beam that supports it, then there's nothing to stop you removing the chimney breast, and sitting the stove on on open hearth. If you have no issue with a stove pipe that goes straight up, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for slow response.
Ive decided to completely take down the chimney breast and have a freestanding woodburner. The flue would then go up vertically and then diagonally through the exterior wall and up above the roof line. I would be getting a HETAS approved installer to do this. Do I need Planning Permission or Building Regs for this?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back