another woodburner thread. bco question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. first off want to apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have a 1930s terraced house and would like to fit a woodburner in the front room where gas fire is.

I have heard bad things about some hetas engineers so want to avoid them. this is probably a few spoiling it for the many but because i dont want to line my flu 2 said it is illegal for me to do so and 2 said well yeah you can kind of. also their pricing is just incredible. but all 4 have different ideas on how to install a stove.

so, i believe i have to get the final installation inspected by the bco. How do i get in touch with them. i have been on the website but cant see anything. probably me being blind.

Also just to get some input.

Going for a defra approved firefox 8. As i am aware it needs to be 250mm from combustable materials. also Have a ventilation brick which i am planning on having behind the stove. i also have one in my bay window wall. a register plate and approprate flue. and a CO detector. yes there are a million other regulations in building regs j but as i have a brick fireplace this shouldnt be too difficult (i think/hope) and these are the main points i need to address.

if anyone has any advice it would be greatly apprecieated.

Edit. The fireplace and chimney have been given thumbs up from a builder and a chimney sweep.

Sponsored Links
wood burners virtually always need a class 1 liner
you are best contacting you bco and ask there advice before you start after off course after reading part "J"

you also need to remember a wood burner is far more expensive to run than a gas system it is also very labour intensive
you also need covered storage for several tonnes off wood
so a wood burner is a very expensive life style choice :D

another night owl.

luckily we still have the coal shed in the yard thats unused. We are keeping the central heating but i love the heat from wood burners. I had one on a narrowboat and it was lush!!!

So can i speak to the bco before i put in an application?
never had anything to do with them before you see.

Seems crazy to me to put a liner in a perfectly good chimney thats been burning wood and coal for years and years with no problems.

Sponsored Links
bit if a waste post really.

the jobs a non start. what started out as a 700 quid easy job is now a 1500 quid faff. really miffed. bco says lined, even though a sweep says its all good.

i have typed this about a dozen times but its always ending in a massive rant. so ill leave it there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back