Woodburner , chimney acces for sweeping ...... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi . Just registered , hope some-one can help , We had a firefox 5 woodburning stove installed about 2 years ago. This autumn I wanted to get the chimney swept as there's no liner, the sweep arrived but said there needs to be a small access plate in the vermiculite boarding above the stove so he can hoover out all the debris that falls down after sweeping .
Question : should this have been fitted when the stove was installed.. ? And should I get the installers back to retrofit an access plate .

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Ideally, there should be an access hole in the register plate.
The scenario is when the chimney is swept, either from above or below, any soot that doesn't fall down the flue pipe collects on the register plate and therefore must constitute some sort of fire hazard....whether or not that is dangerous is anyone's guess.
Another issue if there is no flue liner is this....say the flue pipe is 5 or 6" in diameter, and it extends into a normal open flue, which would normally be cleaned using a 16" brush. You can't get a 16" brush up the pipe so essentially you are trying to sweep a wide flue with a 5" brush....this happens all the time.
Sometimes its easier to remove the wood stove - if it isn't too heavy and has no back boiler, but an access hole to get a vacuum cleaner in is an excellent idea.
I make register plates out of 3mm BDM Steel, and always put an access door in if possible.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back