woodburnig stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a wood burning stove fitted but I am concerned about the way the stove is connected to the flue I removed the baffle plates in the top of the stove and the fire rope only goes halfway around the connecter that fits into the top of the stove I can see some black fire sealant where it has come through the rope and also see some cement in between the rope and sealant the fluepipe the comes down on the outside of the connecting collar to the stove and then there is a big mound of cement on top of the fire I was told not to use the fire for a couple of days to give the cement time to dry which I did anyway the next day I managed to get a camera in a gap at the side of the chimney breast that was not sealed and discovered a big crack right through the middle of the pile of cement on the top of the stove which I would not have discovered only for the oversight of not filling the hole in the side of the chimney by the installers . Does this sound like a botch up ?

Sponsored Links
i assume he is hetas registered as required by part j or are you going by the self cert building control route??

Yes I had to ring hetas to confirm, I forgot to mention when he put the stove into place in the breast he laid it on wet concrete and the stove has sunk down at the back end which has now set and there is a 6 millimetre gap between the faceplate and the stove casing at the top of stove. So now the middle screw that fixes the face plate to the stove on the left hand side can only go into the hole that secures it at a 45 degree angle because it does not line up if the holes at the top of the face were not slots to allow for play he might of got away with it but the weight of the fire sinking down and back has obviously pulled the stove away from the top of the plate.

Considering the weight of these stoves, he can't have much of a clue if he's set it down on wet concrete.....or am I missing something here?
If the stove isn't level, the door will tend to swing on its own.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to get the guy back in to have a look and get in touch with hetas if you're not happy with his explanation. I'm surprised he agreed to install it onto wet concrete or did he lay the concrete base himself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back