Woodburning Stove flue pipe blocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have had my wood burning stove runing for about 6 month now. The flue pipe is out the on a 45 degree bend and goes straight up the chimeny though the registar plate.

The problem I am having is the flue pipe keeps blocking. The chimney is fine it is just the pipe.

When i light the fire smoke comes back into the room this is how I know it is blocked so the fire goes out I then put a tape measure up the pipe which clear the blockage. What ever it is must be a thin film of somthing as i do not see any residue come down the pipe then the fire works fine for a week or 2 then when it has not been used for a couple of days i have the same problem

there is a good possibility that the stove is going to be blocked if there is a sweet smell in the living room

Any advice would be appriciated and i can attach photos of instalation if needed

thanks
grant

Sponsored Links
Any possibility a bird (feathered variety!!) may have got stuck up there? Could you use a hosepipe or something flexible to prod up the flue?

Lou.

there is definstly no birds in there as the chimeney is straigh up and I could see straight down it when I put the bird thing on the top and then I put the flue in for the fire

I will put some rods up and give it a good clean

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi John

That is the strange thing. I feel none. After that is done the stove works fine

thanks

Have you got good air circulation in the room its self? The chimney can only draw air if the air drawn is replaced (try opening a window and see if it improves)

Lou

the air circulation in the room is fine. the room size is about 30 m2 and the fire has a good 40cm all round it.

I have to cut an inspection hole on the back of the chemney to get the soat out the next time it is swept so will see what is wrong then

thanks for the ideas

A bit late here but.... your problem is that the flue is cold and not drawing. Being sloped won't help. As soon as you light a fire the inside of the flue begins to warm up and you get the rising column of warm gases that creates the vacuum at the bottom of the fire.

Our stove draws like a good 'un but leave it a couple of days and it's sluggish for the first few minutes until everything warms up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back