Wooden bifold door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem- very small bathroom, you have to wriggle between the bath and the door so you can close the door.
There isn't really room for a sliding door (only 500 each side of an 800 width frame) plus I don't like sliding doors.
A bifold timber door would solve the problem but.....
1 Is there any sensible way to mitigate the risk of injury from someone sticking their fingers in the bifold hinge (this is a private house so I don't really want one of those massive bellows seen in McDs)
2 I could hinge the bifold bit either way - traditional (so the head of the slave door effectively tracks in a straight line from open to close) or reverse (so you close the master door and then close the slave door- full 180 degree swing on the slave). Bonus with reverse- can use a standard door latch, pinch risk is outside not inside. Downsides- will it feel weird to use it plus no chance of any hooks on the back of the door.
3 Given I'll be creating this masterpiece myself, is there any merit in routing the join between doors (to create an overlap) so that when door is closed there is zero way for anyone to try peeking through the join? Or am I better off just using a piano hinge?
Ta for thoughts...

Sponsored Links
Cut the existing door in half and fit hinges.
Nobody has ever pinched fingers in bifold doors.
It's a lot easier to pinch fingers in a normal door.

Sponsored Links
I doubt it, people soon adjust, familiarity and all that, bifolds are seldom pleasant to use.
Mmm. Not sure about that...actually it's not as bad as I thought, there'd still be about 500 clearance to the newel. Have to leave the door ajar for madam ...

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_110329743.jpg
    IMG_20220712_110329743.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220712_110345225.jpg
    IMG_20220712_110345225.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 57
Open outwards for me :)
Although (especially as the wall is at plasterboard stage), you could go for a slightly narrower door?

open outwards.
or

narrower door
or
Pocket door instead of "sliding"
(same but different look)

a rough sketch of the top view would help

Ta all. Pocket door- now there's a thought, I'd forgotten about them. There's room on the left (500 ish)....wall is a bit thin and the inside of it is decorated but still doable (plastic cladding so there's a bit of give in it :) )
Will ponder that while I'm doing a floor downstairs......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back