Wooden deck over concrete - Absolute newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I have a fairly solid concrete slab in my garden (shown in picture), and I would love to try and build a wooden deck over it. Now I have had VERY little experience with DIY projects, so any help, directions or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Haha probably should've seen that coming! Thing is, as I am kinda new to DIY, I just wanted some personalised tips. Google was the first thing I did - which is how I found the forums.

I was just looking for some tips and warnings specifically related to my concrete block - more specifically, if it was even possible on it! But, never mind, I guess.

Yes it’s perfectly possible to lay a timber deck upon a concrete slab. In fact it’s pretty easy.

jay679’s post was somewhat pointless as this is a forum aimed at providing information to diyers on how to do stuff. That said, your very question has been answered in literally hundreds (if not thousands) of threads already in the garden section. So maybe have a hunt through the garden section and use the DIYnot search facility and then come back with some specific questions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, I mainly wanted to know if my slab was decent enough for this, so thanks!

I do have a question, if I wished to extend the wooden deck slightly more than the length of the concrete, would I follow a step-by-step for the concrete, and then follow a step-by-step from someone who did it from scratch for the extended bit? Or would that just not work? (Sorry about it being wordy)

Thanks again!

The concrete slab is fine, but you will have to keep an eye on that door threshold - you don't want the deck higher as it could allow water ingress.
You can extend the deck over the grass by setting short posts in concrete.
John :)

That's a very good point, will be sure to look out for that. Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back