Wooden floor onto concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting my garage to a playroom and am looking to install a wooden floor over my concrete slab.
I am wondering how best to secure the joists before I put the floor boards down.
It's a single wall on the outside so I am a bit dubious about using joist hangers.
I was going to put a visquine sheet down in slab to protect joists and then use rock wool insulation between joists.
Any help, comments, ideas regarding what I'm doing wood be appreciated - especially regarding how to secure the floor joists.

Sponsored Links
I would not recommend rock wool for the floor and how much gap will there be under the joists.

There is about 160mm drop from my kitchen to garage floor so I think the joists will pretty much be on concrete. Some packing to level the floor up.
I could use the rigid foam insulation if that would be best.
Do you think using 90 degree angle brackets would be sufficient to fasten the joists to the concrete floor?

You are supposed to have a few inches of clear space for ventilation under your wooden floor, but if thats not possible then I would recommend buying treated joists. Yes to the brackets but try and get something rustproof and make sure the joists are packed well and use slate or similar for a dpc.

Sponsored Links
Is there any particular size joist which is require?
Or just what ever fits?
The room is only about 5m by 3m and I will span the 3m section.
If I'm using brackets (and noggins to provide support) should I leave gaps at the end of the walls? Or cut the joists tight to the walls?
I have also just thought of attaching a piece if timber all the way round the walls if the room and then attaching joist hangers to this (rather than fixing to concrete floor) does anyone think this would be better/worse?

You could probably go down to 4"x 2" if you pack it a couple of times across the span, as to bolting timber to the walls thats ok as long as the wall are dry, and put a couple of air bricks either end for ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back