Wooden floor over celotex, with battens or without???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this sounds familiar, but have read the posts and find the info I need, so any advice appreciated.

So from top to bottom I was thinking (for garden studio);

- 225mm x 38mm wooden floor boards
- (maybe VCL or foil tape joins in celotex sheets)
- celotex
- concrete floor

Will the floor boards be ok directly on the celotex or should I use some sort of treated battens (100mm x 19mm) glued to the celotex to fix the floor boards to, or will this just compress the battens into the celotex too much? I guess you could use OSB T&G over whole floor?

Also not sure about VCL above celotex?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For my garden room i cut the celotex in half long ways and run a beam inbetween giving 600mm approx spacing.

For my garden room i cut the celotex in half long ways and run a beam inbetween giving 600mm approx spacing.
I would do that but with a concrete base, I was advised not to lay timber directly on it as this is likely to rot, even if treated if any moisture gets in there or from the base itself.

Is there no DPC in the concrete? you could lay one.

Sponsored Links
We normally install the VCL above the concrete, but below the insulation. Are your planks T&G? In general I'd expect to overclad the insulation with plywood then secret nail into that for planked flooring if there were no joists

We normally install the VCL above the concrete, but below the insulation. Are your planks T&G? In general I'd expect to overclad the insulation with plywood then secret nail into that for planked flooring if there were no joists

I suspect as you mention, the best bet would be to lay some 8 x 4' subfloor like OSB or Ply, then the flooring, which will be sanded scaffold boards as the main flooring. There's DPM in the concrete, but may well do the VCL underneath the celotex too.

Don't really understand how your concrete will get damp then? DPM is there to keep damp out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back