Wooden Flooring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice about wooden flooring.
I would like to lay approx 40 sq m of wooden flooring in my maisonette.
It will cover the entire downstairs - living area, kitchen and hallway.
The sub structure is concrete.
I have had lots of quotes, and I seem to have 2 different options.
One option is to go for a 20mm thick, 100mm wide solid oak strip. I've been told I can glue this down, but the knots have to be filled in, then it has to be sanded and sealed. The total cost for the wood is about a £1000, and the glue and sealant and sanding would obviously be extra.
Option two is to go for a pre finished 3 strip oak flooring - this I understand has to be put on an underlay, or nailed to ply ? This flooring wold cost slighly less, about 840 quid, plus about 100 for the underlay. Obviously this won;t need sanding or sealing, and will be ready as soon as it is laid.
What I guess I'm looking for is advice on which would look better - I'm guessing option 1 would look better in the long run, but is all the work sanding and sealing andfilling in knots worth it ? Also, is gluing it down the right method ?

Sponsored Links
Obviously a lot depends on the quality of the floor you choose. Unfinished wood gives you a choice of finishes ie oil, varnish etc, wheras the pre-finished is whatever the manufacturer puts on.
Gluing direct to floor is OK if floor is sound and flat - underlay can even out a few minor bumps but you may need to screed it to make sure it is totally flat.

The prices you quote seem quite cheap for this amount of oak flooring - I would check out the quality to make sure it is OK. A builder mate has been buying some oak direct from manufacturer and this has been around £35/metre.

Thanks.
I have checked out the flooring - it's from a very reputable firm called the natural wood flooring company in wandsworth, south london.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by screed ?
The concrete is pretty flat, but it's covered in this black stuff, which may need to be removed, or could we glue directly on top of this ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back