Wooden Garage - Concrete Base not Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A builder installed a concrete slab and assembled a wooden garage on it. Unfortunately, the slab wasn't level so it ended up needing a significant number of wedges to level the garage - please see the attached picture.

The builder will not be returning so I'm looking for a way to deal with the issue. Here are the options I'm looking at so any opinions or alternatives are much appreciated:

1. Jack up the garage (it's 26' long and 13' wide so not an easy task) and lay a course of engineering bricks on a length of DPC. Drop the garage back down on the bricks.

2. Lift the garage in sections, placing DPC under the battens. Build a timber shutter around the edge of the battens and fill with some type of screed.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
You could jack it up with a bunch of mates and a load of wedges/blocks if the structure would take it?
It might need. a few cross pieces inside to stop it going squee whiff?
If you look at how the yanks move houses it's more care and attention to blocks than hi tech.

Does the block have a DPC?

You could jack it up with a bunch of mates and a load of wedges/blocks if the structure would take it?
It might need. a few cross pieces inside to stop it going squee whiff?
If you look at how the yanks move houses it's more care and attention to blocks than hi tech.

Does the block have a DPC?
I believe that the concrete slab did have a DPC but I was only told that - I didn't see the DPC before the concrete was poured and I've seen no evidence of any sticking out from the sides, etc.

Are you suggesting a course of bricks underneath it, assuming I can lift it?

Sponsored Links
Raising it is quite easy, get some 90 x 90 fence posts, cut to say 900mm lengths.

screw these inside the garage, vertically with the lower end about 150mm above the floor.

then buy a £30 hydraulic car Jack from toolstation / screwfix.

then work your way around raising bit by bit.

Your biggest problem is not the wedges but the fact the slab is too big. rain will hit the garage run down till it hits the slab then run under - and your timber garage will rot.

if it was me, I’d create some form of cill projection so the water is discharged beyond the slab. It’s not that easy as it needs a weathering detail on the garage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back