Wooden post on top of brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here
//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=17150
are pix of my porch. The side walls comprise brickwork up to waist height, topped by a square timber frame with mortice / tennon / dowelled joints.

Alas! The bottom horizontals have rotted, so I have cut them out. Also the bottom part of the untreated softwood vertical posts.

I had thought to replace the horizontals simply with half-bricks (engineering), but upon opening it up found the posts had rotted as well, so I shall need two more courses of brickwork as well.

Q1. Do you think I have cut back the posts far enough ?

Q2. What should I put between the brick and the bottom of the post ? I want to prevent the feet from rotting further.

a) Cement mortar, flush all round?
b) Cement mortar, recessed so that the posts over-sail?
c) Straight onto the brick? The bricks are black engineering, with a diamond pattern on one face - I could put that face uppermost, with the slots acting as drains to prevent the feet of the posts staying wet? Or the smooth face uppermost?

ANY advice / comments would be very welcome. Please ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
One problem you have is evident from your pics, the lack of overhang and a water drip to your bottom runners/brick walls. To resolve this I would prop the roof temp. remove all supporting timber framework, replace or add the top brick course with double bullnose lengthwise bricks (you'll probably find getting these a problem) or concrete bullnose style copes. With something like this fitted the bottom runners can have a drip channel routed along the bottom edge, clear of the brick/cope allowing the rainwater to shed and not pond under it, as is evident. I would not want to retain any of the original wooden framework in situ, in the scope of things as this would not really be cost effective, in my opinion, rather I would want to salvage it and use it elsewhere, less demanding...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back