Wooden shed construction query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
  • Hi. I'm in the process of building a shed. 15 x 4" posts set in post Crete at approx 2m intervals Bolted to these are 6" x 2" joists which support 3" x 2" battens. On top is 3/4" osb sheet covered with shed felt.
    My question is: Will the posts be strong enough to hold this weight?
    They seem ok so far and I have cross braced the sides and back with more 4" posts since the photos were taken.

Attachments

• 20180807_130706.jpg
    20180807_130706.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 346
Sponsored Links
My concern would be more about lack of diagonals, unless they are going in later. 4 inch post wouldn't have any issues with vertical load as long as it's all tied together well.
Make sure the ground level where the posts enter the ground doesn't stay damp.

The cladding will brace it.

Wooden posts below ground level will be fine until they rot and break.

Thanks for that. I have indeed used more 4" posts diagonally between the posts on the 2 sides and rear of the shed which has eliminated any wobble!
There is 2 foot overhang of the roof all the way around so apart from any driving rain at the front, the ground will stay dry. The back and sides are also protected by trees and fencing.

Sponsored Links
Ohh you aren't building a shed you're building a covered area. Makes scene now.
You'll be fine. I presume you are in a sheltered area with no large winds.

Yes it is not in a windy area. The sides and back will be cladded as will half of the front... 2 end sections. The 2 front middle sections will be open for access

You might as well stick in a few diagonals, either scraps of timber, or metal straps. Also think about the wind (a rare storm) getting under the front overhang and ripping that off, make sure it's well tied together.

The posts will be plenty strong enough, it's the joists or fixings that would break first!

For what it costs to cover in a good quality felt, corrugated roofing isn't much more, and it will last a lifetime

The sides and back will be cladded as will half of the front... 2 end sections. The 2 front middle sections will be open for access
Then this does seem like an odd way of construction.
You've got posts in the middle of your floor area and I hope you've planned you cladding well otherwise your going to be left with lots of waste but it's too late now :D
The cladding will add a lot of strength and stop any lateral movement if you double nail it.

Hi. The posts in the middle will be used to build internal walls to form compartments for various uses within the shed. I had planned to use feather edge timber for cladding..... will see what lengths I can get today.
Cheers

Watch what kind of cladding though if youryo double nailing, some kinds are only supposed to be nailed once, to prevent sideways expansion or contraction splitting the pieces lengthways.

Watch what kind of cladding though if youryo double nailing, some kinds are only supposed to be nailed once, to prevent sideways expansion or contraction splitting the pieces lengthways.

I think I'll use feather edge. I've cross braced the sides and back with more 4" posts diagonally so the cladding won't be essential for stability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back