Wooden sleeper climbing wall

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm wanting to build something similar to this

Using wooden sleepers. If I use 8ft sleepers and bury them into the ground 2ft using a concrete mix and fix them all together from behind, do you think it will be sufficient to take the weight of kids climbing up and down?

Is there anything else I need to do/consider before making a start.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
2 ft in concrete sounds the business... as long as there's enough concrete.
maybe tie them together in the concrete, but I'd say they should take a hammering and be fine.

(I'm a DIYer, not a pro, so maybe wait for the pro's answers?)

• Thanks
Reactions: RMS
Sponsored Links
if you set them in proper concrete not postcrete and put a few timberlok screws through every other one to tie them together it should be more than man enough.

If your kids are 16 maybe not such a great idea.

• Thanks
Reactions: RMS
I will be using concrete. Postcrete has its limits I feel.

I was thinking of using metal restraint straps across the bottom and top on the back side. what do you think? Or would the timberlocks be better?

The sleepers will be rough sawn, do you think this will be okay? Can you get planed finish sleepers?

Do you think it would be better to insert them all into the hole, fix them together, prop them up and concrete of should I concete the first one in leaving one side free ready for the others to fix against?

Maybe go overboard on the two end ones, and the middle one.... 3ft of concrete, let that go off, then add the inner ones - you might get away with a bit less concrete over all?

Just a thought?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back