Wooden windows stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All three wooden windows in our spare bedroom have become stuck shut recently, and a window that I left open in another room can't be closed. They were all painted a couple of a months ago but I wonder if it is more to do with the damp weather as my neighbour is having similar problems with his wooden doors.

The windows are NOT sash windows. They are "normal" opening windows but possibly 80 years old as the house is 1930s.

Does anyone know what I can do to get them open as we're drying washing in there and it's causing a lot of condensation and dampness. I've tried hitting all round with a rubber mallet but don't want to damage the wood or break the glass. All the online articles I can find only refer to sash windows.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Water will make wood swell and drying washing will do this nicely, wait till summer the wood will shrink then, as long as you stop drying clothes.

what type of hinges are fitted..
if cast then they may have blown and hence you cant open them,be very careful if this is the case as once you have managed to get them open you could find the window falls out and drops to the ground below????

but its probably as above the amount of rain etc is a killer for timber.

Sponsored Links
As above re the wet washing but also you say they were recently painted so were they given enough time to harden before closing? If they were already tight and the paint not fully hardened then that will contribute to the problem. Unfortunately it will probably be down to brute force. Just make sure no-one is underneath the windows when you try - no knowing what will happen if the glass goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back