Woods Fan Controllers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A commercial kitchen has two ME 1.6 fan controllers.

Both controls manage to alter the speed of the fans. How ever BOTH controllers do not change in fan speed instantaneously it takes about 10 seconds. (Is this normal)
Also when you rotate the dial, it turns continuously, i.e it does not stop when it reaches 10 on the dial, you can turn the dial 360 degrees and keep on going round and round . Is this a fault or is it how the controller operates.

The owner thinks they are faulty, I just want to check that this is not normal operation before changing them.

Price for these units is weird, some companies charging over £100
but some £40 for the same unit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've had a look, they are. See if you can locate a tiny grub screw on the dial and see if it is tight on the pot. shaft. (You will need to get the dial in the correct position first )

Sponsored Links
the controller are triac based units and yes they will not instantly speed up the fan,
they ramp up the voltage/curent to the fan slowly to prevent inrush current to the motor, thereby not overloading the motor/blades

if they are working fine, leave em.

if they are not change em!

we have just completed a refit of a restaurant in town with two controllers
i x 10 amp incoming cool air and 1 x 16 amp (multitapped transformer type unit) for extract (transformer is `tapped at deferent voltages via a multipole switch controller)

is one is a woods unit

hope this helps you

now going back to the alarm side of this forum.

and yep we do commercial and industrial electrical installation works as well as cctv/intruder and fire alarms, my position is Managing Director of all i survey and alarms is my filed of expertise, and my business partner is the electrical engineer in the organization)

Oasis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back