woodwash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

First post here.

I've just applied a white ash wood wash to my stable door and am now looking at ways of sealing it as it is an exterior door. All the varnishes i have looked at all seem to be yellow in colour even when marked as clear. I don't want to lose the whitewash effect. Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
To some degree or another all polyurethane and solvent based varnishes have a honey tinge to them. Over time this honey tinge will deepen to a yellow / orange colour.

If you go for a water based varnish (acrylic) you will find it goes on with a milky tinge but dries almost water clear, this ever depends on how many coats you apply i.e. the more coats the more apparent the milky colour will be.

If I was you I would put out a call for member woodfinishes1877 he is a wood finishing expert and offer very good and clear advice.

I saw the sign in the sky and logged on!

To be honest there isn't much I can add to awbcm's spot on advice. If you wish to avoid a slight yellowing then the only option is to go for a clear exterior waterbased lacquer.

One thing I would add is please take great care when applying any finish to an exterior door. They are notoriously difficult to seal well especially if they are already hanging. As you can imagine if water is able to seep under the surface it will turn the door grey. pay particular attention to sealing the end grain.

Hope this helps although I haven't really added anything to awbcm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back