woodworking dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am compiling a list of useful dimensions for woodworkers, ie heights of chairs, desks, workbenches etc etc. Anyone any ideas for useful references. cheers

Sponsored Links
Pop down to your local DFS and start measuring, thats the easiest. I don't think there is a 'standard' as such. Personally being 6'2" most of the furniture in the shops is all wrong anyway, likewise for Mrs Nstreet, she is only 5'1".

heights of chairs, desks, workbenches etc is pretty standard for the 'average' person but who is average?
I have never found an armchair that is the correct height to prevent causing backache.
Table 30", dining chair 18", armchair 15", workbench 36"
I raised my armchair on blocks to bring it to the same height as a dining chair which is right for me with the chair back tilted instead of upright.
If I and everyone else were 'average' all furniture would be the same heights and i would not bother making all my own as I have done for so many years.
What a boring life that would be..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back