workbench ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a workbench for my dads new garage, I'm using 1" thick chipboard for the surface, and using 3x2 planed and treated timber for the frame, with a combination of mortice and bridle joints. anyone have any suggestions on what I could use to cover the surface to make it more durable. It's going to be used mainly for metalwork and woodwork.

Also, anyone know anything good for treating a concrete floor to stop it generating dust and improve the look of it?

Sponsored Links
Depends on how much metal work you plan to do. If its mainly metal work, I would put a thin steel sheet on the top, as any wood or plastic surface will either absorb oils etc and mark easily. If its mainly wood work then a formica type material would be good.

You can buy garage floor paint for your concrete floor, have a look on the Screwfix site, they do a number of products.

wouldnt be very happy with chipboard as the top doesnt like getting wet dosn:t wear very well will flake to easy at the edges and is likely to fail if you say put an engine block on it
you could try new scaffold boards they are about nine inches wide about 40mm thick and about 13ft long selected to be free of flaws for about £12

you can easily sand smooth if required and has plenty of meat when the surface gets pitted badly dented to sand it flat again

I find that old fire doors make very solid work benches, you can often find one sticking out of a skip.

A sheet of hardboard tacked to the bench top is cheap and can be easily replaced one it becomes worn.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I have a bench (albeit for woodwork) that I built a top made from 2 layers of blockboard. I finished it with a couple of coats of water based floor varnish. This is very strong and flat and the surface is durable. Originally I too used chipboard but the surface quickly deteriorated. I constructed this one so that I can easily unscrew and replace the upper layer if it becomes damaged.

regards, Colin

nstreet said.

Depends on how much metal work you plan to do. If its mainly metal work, I would put a thin steel sheet on the top,

Couldn't agree more, especially if the metal work involves any arc welding. If you put a nut and bolt through it for your earth, it is much easier and quicker than earthing the actual job. I would use 2mm sheet, the likes of these will supply it cut to size.

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Thanks for all the suggestions, they've been really helpfull. I particularly like the idea of sheeting the surface with metal, as the sort of work I will be doing involves things like coolant and cutting fluid, enginners bluing and oils splashing everywhere so wood may get too badly stained. It needs to be quite sturdy as well, as I'm planning to mount a drill press, mini lathe, mini miller and bench grinder onto it.

thanks for that link as well, I'll check them out.

If you are going to mount that much you will need quite a bit of room. Sheet steel stock size is about 6x3 if you make your bench to suit a stock size the steel will be cheaper. This is because you will be able to get it direct from a stockholder rather than a shop type place like the link.

Steel top every time .. no engineering shop shut down auctions nearby ? .. a marking out plate (steel table) would be good.

BTW .. Always ensure no one pops a tiny dab of engineer's blue on the back of your ear ! :D :D :D

mwah ha ha ha ha! What makes you think I won't be doing the dabbing *chortle* Actually have my eye on a very reasonably priced black granite (or is it marble?) surface table, around the size of an A4 sheet for only £35, and the local college is going to sell me a load of old marking out tools from their old engineering department :D .

Thanks for the advice David and Julie, I've found a stockist near me that will cut it to size and also fold a 1" lip onto it for me to cover the edge of the bench, they worked out a lot cheaper than the other place I had in mind. I will also keep the link you gave me in mind for buying stock steel, aluminium etc for my machines, the company I used to go to is in quite far away and a real pain to get to, this sounds much more convenient.

Peace out y'all and have a merry Crimbo

1, for the structure, find a secondhand (demolition) wood supplier and build it with 4" x 2" at the price of supermarket 2" x 1"

2. I am a little worried about a steel top cos' it will rust unless it is galvanised, I would go for a oil tempered hardboard surface ( £10 for 8' x 4') which is a very different material from the ordinary hardboard, its harder and waterproof). This can go on top of anything (planks, secondhand/surplus kitchen worksurfaces chipboard etc.

welcome to the forums. but i bet he has done it now that post was made last year, you may want to see item 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back