Renovating a staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Basically, i've been doing a total overhaul on my house, the majority of the woodwork is being replaced. Problem is the staircase...
All the woodwork, ie. door frames, banisters, doors etc etc have been covered in this horrible black stuff, bit like a tar based product, many many years ago. I cant do anything to get rid of it which isnt a problem as Im replacing door liners etc. I cant justify the cost of a new staircase, so Im looking for alternatives...
The woodwork is to be stained and varnished. I was thinking along the lines of maybe cladding the existing somehow. possily replace the newel posts but on close inspection they are jointed by dowels with tenons, so this might get messy....
Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it were me I would find some way to strip the tar like substance off the stairs without seeing it's hard to say what's needed you need to get an experienced decorator around and pick his brains. Good Luck!

have you tried nail varnish remover??just to see wether it has any effect.

Hi,

The problem is that this stuff has been on there for years and years, Im talking 45+ years. Its really in deep and has stained the wood, no amount of sanding, stripping or anything can get this back to match the rest of the new woodwork, hence my ideas...
I know it was a bit of a long shot, but was wondering if anyone had seen this bloody awful stuff before and got around it.

Thanks for the input.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
A mate of mine was rennovating and described a similar thing to me on his floorboards and skirting. It was on the first floor so definately not any kind of bitumen dpm or anything but he spent hours at it with many different attacks and the only thing that made a dent was heat gun and scraper. It was so tedious he ended up just painting the floorboards black.

I think it was some kind of bitumen adhesive for maybe a wood block floor or similar? but really i don't know.

I will try to get up a pic or two, but not sure it will show the effect.

This stuff has been put on just about every piece of wood in the house, not a problem in most cases as Im replacing it all, staircase is a different matter, just too expensive to have one custom made.

Thanks for replying....

Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back