Woodworm Treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am booked in to have woodworm treatment in the loft area and under the wooden floorboards of my property. I've been told to clear the property of furniture and carpet and loft insulation! Does anyone have any experiences of the same and what am I to expect on the day? :confused:

Thanks for any help. Karen

Sponsored Links
What you can expect is for them to come in wearing protective clothing and masks, and for them to spray a load of unpleasant chemicals, and then leave, having refixed any floorboards they have lifted up. Then asking you to cough up the cash. Make sure you get a guarantee for their work.

Thanks Dextrous - I'll make sure I get a guarantee :)

Although I don't like leaving workmen alone in my property, I will be making myself scarce for that day, until it is safe to re-enter! When they lift floorboards (and I'm guessing it won't be all of them) how do they make sure all wooden joist areas are sprayed successfully? And how will I know if they have sprayed all areas when I return?

Karen

Sponsored Links
when i used to do it,we used to take every 5-6th board up along the whole length,and under pressure spray the woodworm chemical with a lance(wand)on it is an adjustable nozzle thats a bit like a lance from a jet wash,and saturate all the timber underneath,screw/nail the boards down sweep up the mess and spray the tops of the boards.if you have a staircase we used to drill a few holes in the risers and using a special nozzle that sprays in all directions insert it into the holes and treat behind the treads etc.you will never be able to get to and treat every single piece of timber in the property but they should do there best in trying,in the attic we would brush down all the rafters of cobwebs and crud etc lift all insulation and place to 1 side.spray the chemical,relay the insulation and lift up and spray the other side then relay,when we had finished it looked like it was a brand new roof,nice and clean and you could tell the timbers were wet.
its no good if they do not remove all the dust because all they will be doing is coating IT rather then the timbers.
bear in mind you will still be seeing the beetles emerge from the timber over the next few life cycles,the beetle will eat the treated timber mate/lay eggs but these eggs will have the chemical in them.
as already said make sure they provide you with a guarantee.

gregers that was really useful! I do appreciate your input with that, thank you. I have been asked by the company to remove the loft insulation and I will now dust it all down as I now realise how important that is in this procedure! :)
Karen

KarenN,
You should have been sent a health and safety notice with your contractors quote about re- entry time to your property etc, following treatment plus within their quote should be included removal and re- instatement of furniture / loft insulation etc. does the quote mention isolation of loft water tanks [ unless you have a Combi boiler fitted ] .
Personally if I quote for a timber treatment it includes everything.Not being funny but to ask you to remove the loft insulation dos'nt sound very professional to me. As Gregers posted who is supplying the guarantee.

yeah thats bang out of order,its not for you to remove the insulation or for you to clean down the timbers,why your at it would you lift up and denail all the boards for them?i think it may be best to get a few more quotes from others before you commit to 1 firm.

i know it has all changed since i was invovled with doing this,but im sure there were safer chemicals out there where you were allowed back into the property(maybe not to sleep)after about 8-10 hrs???.

Hi Gregers and Dave 1953,
Thanks for your help - I have received a letter informing me it will be safe to re-enter the building after 8 hrs. However, I am having to remove the insulation .... I've done over a quarter already, bagged it and dumped it as it was quite disgusting in places. Although quite tough work, it is satisfying! The company will be covering my water tank prior to work.
Karen :)

well lets hope it looks like a new pin once the treatment has been carried out?.
once its all done dont forget to replace with new insulation.

Thanks Gregers, I hope it will look good too (not that anyone's going to see it!!!) With regards to new insulation...any advice on what to lay?
Thanks Karen :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back