Can woodworm treatment rust nails in furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a 1930s wood fire surround containing a dozen or so nails which fix multiple sections together. I have just stripped back in preparation for a new finish. I’ve discovered another piece of furniture in the same room had woodworm, so I’d like to treat the fire surround with sika sikagard woodworm treatment as a preventative measure. The treatment I bought from screwfix says it is water based. Am I likely to get rust spots showing through if I apply this to the fire surround before coating with oil and laquer? What have others used? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
you dont need to overthink this 'treatment will make the wood damp for say a day or so so rust in this amount off time will be zero as rust [decay] takes many many months off abuse and damp
if your nails rust its not a treatment causing the problem its the damp problem you have to solve

Thanks. Ordinarily I would have just applied the treatment without a second thought but having watched some videos on applying laquer to wood, some people mention avoid using wire wool when you’re intending on using a water based laquer as it can cause rust spots, and that got me thinking about nails and the affect from water based woodworm treatment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back