Worcester 24CDi combi boiler-Proble with pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 24CDi combi boiler and I'm experiencing problems with the pressure.

I recently drained the system down to tidy up the old pipe work that was there prior to the installation of the combi boiler.

After pressurising the system water continues to drip from the overflow pipe until the pressure drops completely. Once the pressure is up we can have HW and CH but the pressure will fall because water is still leaking from the overflow pipe.

It leaks from the pipe when you pressurise the system,

Could anyone post some advice and help please

Roy Noyce

Sponsored Links
Re-charge the boiler expansion vessel to about 0.8 Bar. Clean or replace the safety valve. The auto air vent should also be replaced as any trapped air will damage the pump.

Thanks for your help but could you tell me how to re-charge the boiler expansion vessel to about 0.8 Bar, clean or replace the safety valve.

Roy

to recharge expansion vessel just use standard foot pump, connected to the schreader valve. as said to about 10psi.

if you find water at the valve the vessel need replacing.
the safety valve will be located at top of discharge pipe inside boiler. remove/unscrew with grips and rinse with water. this only needs doing if after re-charging vessel its still discharging to outside.

Sponsored Links
I've recharged the expansion vessel as said to about 10psi.

Water is still dripping from the discharge pipe, there was no water on the shreader valve.

When you say remove/unscrew the safety valve do you mean the pressure relief valve?

I can unscrew it by hand but as i do so the flow of water coming out of the discharge pipe increases to a steady flow instead of a drip.

Could you explain in further detail about the safety valve removal cleaning please,

Roy

Recharging the pressure vessel isn't quite that simple - see faq section under Boiler Pressure Problems.

You will need a new pressure relief valve - once they've let water out they usually stay leaking.

The expansion vessel pressure should be about 0.8 Bar with the boiler pressure gauge showing zero.

Yes the pressure releif valve (lower right hand side with the red top)

Temporarily screw the auto air vent cap shut (top LHS of boiler)

Open valve by turning red part until water slows/stops.

Use grips to remove red part of safety valve or disconnnect outlet pipe and remove clip and entire valve (O ring fitting).

Clean valve seat and rubber seating face.

There may still be some water loss if the boiler is at a low point in the system but work fast. Jam a cloth into the valve body while you clean the rubber seating face.

If the valve has been leaking for any lenght of time you will need to replace the valve.

Finally open air vent cap and refill to 1 Bar.

I took the valve right out (disconnected outlet pipe and removed clip)

Cleaned the valve seat

I couldn't get the red part of the valve off, does it just pull off?

Put it all back together but water pours out the overflow pipe when refilling the system

After running hot water from the tap it is now a steady drip, I don't know how long the pressure will hold.

Do you think I need a new relief valve

Thanks
Roy[/code]

Roynoyce wrote:

Cleaned the valve seat

I couldn't get the red part of the valve off, does it just pull off?

How did you clean the valve seat if you could not get the red bit out :confused:

Do you think I need a new relief valve

Yep

no the red cap doesnt need removing just actual spring valve section.

whats the gauge on the boiler reading?

RoyNoyce said:
i cleaned the valve seat by the o ring

How does the red cap come off?

thanks

Roy

You will end up making it worse..just buy a new one.

But if you want to risk it the way to get the valve in bits is to hold the brass bit with a spanner and then grab the black bit just below the red bit with some grips and turn anticlockwise.

Believe me it will be knackered.

Just a quick one for future reference because I have come across this myself after draining the system down and then repressuring. I too have come accross the problem of the system losing pressure and the water was releasing from the tell tale pipe outside.
I corrected the problem by simply turing the pressure release valve fully and letting the spring loaded action reseat the valve properly and this stopped the water leaking past the seat of the valve.
I know this sounds simple but its worth a try before you take the long way round and take it apart! The reason why it didn't reseat properly was that I was relaesing the system pressure by just easing the valve open and not opening fully.
Hope this helps.

All his problems arose because he chose to drain the boiler from the pressure release valve!

They are a safety device and NOT a draining point!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back