Worcester 24Si II

E

erithacus

Hi , new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have had the above combi boiler for around 3 years and it has performed flawlessly. Just the other night it started giving problems.

When the central heating has been on for an hour or so, the ignition light (red lamp) constantly flicks on/off and there is an associated clicking noise from within the casing.

The radiators remain hot, so I am presuming the pump is still circulating. The hot water works with no such problem even when filling a bath.

Can anyone give me any guide lines as to what to expect if/when an engineer checks the boiler?

I was stung for over £2000 in 3 visits when the last boiler failed, only to pay a third of that amount to have the Worcester supplied and fitted!

Any help/advice would be gratefully received chaps

cheers, russ

Sponsored Links
You can expect anything really, it was cowboyed in so probably a lot of corrosion.
How long since last service?

It was not "cowboyed in", it was fitted by a corgi registered engineer. The engineer was a guy who sub-contracted for me when I was a site agent.
It was serviced May 08

Thanks for the (lack of) info :confused:

I was stung for over £2000 in 3 visits when the last boiler failed, only to pay a third of that amount to have the Worcester supplied and fitted!
700 quid minus boiler leaves about 200 notes.
Exactly how much quality do expect for that?

Sponsored Links
700 quid minus boiler leaves about 200 notes.
Exactly how much quality do expect for that?

There is no question about the quality of the installation. It was installed over 3 years ago, if it was an installation problem I would suspect it would have shown by now!

The guy had taken been working for us for a few years and was taking in excess of £90k a year in labour alone. I think he probably only just covered his own costs in installing our own boiler.

I wish I could diagnose problems of bad workmanship just by the price that someone charged, without knowing the circumstances of the deal. You must be a very lucky, and rich man.

Could you possibly give me the lotto numbers????

I came on here for advice, not to be slated.

I just hope the engineer I call to my boiler can fix problems over the phone in the same manner you can diagnose them over the internet!

ps

having just read some of your other comments on the forum, I would suggest you are either a troll or someone with penis envy issues

I don't know WB boilers very well as I do not like them. I can only think that the APS could be dropping out and is what you can hear clicking.

Is the clicking from the top of the boiler?

There other things that can click, such as the gas valve, or relays on th pcb.

As the red light is a lockout light that would normally need to be reset before the boiler would continue, I cannot understand how this is coming on, then the boiler starting on its own again :confused:

Come off it mate. Your story has more holes in it than darling's budget. If the installer was so good and works for free, why don't you get him to fix it?

repaired same model 3 weeks ago, clicking noise was a faulty relay on p.c.b. New p.c.b cost £90 ish & 1 hours labour charge.

I am not saying THIS is the fault you have, its just an indication of one of the possible faults, with the info given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back