Worcester 28 CDI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I am after some help/advice.

I have sse home shield boiler care.

I have the above boiler serviced annually. 2 weeks ago I had intermittent hot water. The divert valve was replaced by SSE, it was noticed the expansion tank wa leaking, this was also replaced.

When the heating engineer had replaced the part he checked the hot water, all fine. He only ran the tap on for 15-20 secs on to prove getting hot water.

That evening I went for a shower. Hot water came on, then after about two minute hot water went off, 15-20 secs hot water returns.

This carried on for the time I was in the shower.

SSE came out the flowing day, after a little bit of tinkering they said the plate heat exchanger is fault. Before I go and spend a considerable amount of money on getting this replaced I just wanted to confirm there is nothing else that could be causing this fault.

I should mention when running the bath tap the boiler does not cut out.

Any info greatly received.

Russ

Sponsored Links
I'm confused. You have a boiler care plan but you're worried about having to spend money on the boiler? Is this one of those "black hole" plans where you throw a huge amount of money in and get nothing out of it?

As to the fault, could be the heat exchanger or could be a temperature sensor issue. Impossible to say without being in front of it to do some tests unfortunately

That would be the classic sign of a blocked plated heat exchanger, not difficult to replace just a shame he didnt do it when he had it out to do the diverter.

Sponsored Links
Try using a bigger shower head, now the diverter valve is sorted all the heat will be going into the hot water and if the shower head is restricting flow it will cut out as it probably cant modulate that low, if the plate was blocked I would expect the boiler to cut out when the bath tap was run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back