worcester 28 si c/h ok no h/w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi if anyone could help would be very grateful, we have 2 little ones and they need a good scrub !!!!
When we run h/w it runs hot for 2 seconds then stays warm, so we cant get a shower etc...if however we put the central heating on say to 22 on thermostat, we get hot water.. not piping hot but hotter than luke warm...
I called out corgi eng.. friend of a friend...he had a quick look and asked has this co-incided with all the gas works in your street (new gas pipes going in) i said we had a new gas pipe installed about 3 days ago, my problem with boiler has been going on for about 6 days say, but the work in the street has been going on in street for about a month....
He advised he will take a look at gas valve, it might have crap in the filter, he advised there does't appear to be any crap in filter, he advised he tested gas supply and it's not as strong as at should be, i dont know what the reading was or was what piece of equipment he used to ascertain this, but he advised you need a new gas valve.... i can ring around for you tom and get back to you with a price..... fair enough if that's what it is, so be it, he did'nt charge for that call out diagnosis which seems very fair, so i am currently waiting for him to get back to me, i've just had a browse and they are £80-£120, bit steep...i was'nt expecting that, anyway my dad is a pipefitter and installs industrial boilers for a living he's currently working away and i told him my problem and straight away he said check your diverter valve ... it might have a bit of crap in..me i knowa nothink !!! but he seemed very asertive that it could be that.. anyway after reading alot of the similar posts on this site...all the engineers seem to conclude that its the diverter valve...so i am wondering should i mention this to engineer when he rings me back..but i dont want to undermine him in any way, he might not take well to that...or he might have already done that...
but my question is ...if the central heating is working when i turn it on,, i mean within short period of time the rads are very hot...then how can it heat the water up that fast to rads if the gas supply is not what it should be ..hence the need for a new gas valve...surely it would take a long time to heat rads if gas supply was low...and how come when heating is on...i can get a fairly hot shower for as long as i want..isnt the water being instantly heated by the boiler...so how can the gas valve be faulty ? or am i completely barking up the wrong tree gents?

Any help would be greatly appreciated gents to clarify problem.
take care
Boc

Sponsored Links
I am sorry but without gas measurements I cannot comment on that. At least he has been there!

But without seeing your system its not possible to come to any conclusion.

My advice is to always pay someone to do work as that makes them responsible for doing the work needed properly. I have no idea what valve he was referring to or what you have priced.

When someone comes free or not expecting to get paid they will usually be trying to get away with doing the least work! You cannot complain about what they do or don't do!

Someone who does industrial pipework is unlikely to be familiar ( or qualified ) to diagnose faults on domestic boilers!

Tony

you can discount the diverter valve , this boiler hasn,t got one,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back