Worcester 280 RSF fan trouble?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Combi boiler stopped working yesterday, will not fire up at all. Overtemp switch not activated and system pressure ok. Pump starts ok (I think thats what I can hear) but then nothing else happens. Think its the fan that's the problem based on fault finding guide. Nothing coming from flue (can you normally feel a flow?) and after removing cover (5 mins) stator of fan still quite hot. Don't want to go out and buy replacement fan unit to find its not the problem, just wondering if anyone can advise on the following:

1-Can you normally feel a flow from flue
2-Does Fan stator normally run hot or is this a sign of a problem
3-Is there an easy test to prove fan faulty
4-Is it easy to replace
5-Am I barking up the wrong tree

Empty pockets, angry wife and three cold dirty kids await answer!

Thanks

Alan.

Sponsored Links
Is the fan actually running? If it is and the boiler is not firing then it could be the air pressure switch.
If the fan is hot and it is not running then it is the fan. Have you tried spinning the fan yourself has it seized???

Thanks for getting back so fast, don't think the fan is running but can't be certain. Can't feel any flow from flue but its not something I've ever paid much attention to so don't know if the fan creates a flow big enough to feel? I've turned the fan by hand, it does turn but not freely, the resistance however just feels to be magnetic which I guess is normal? I haven't tried running it with the cover off as I guess this is a big no no? I did suspect the pressure switch but the fact that the fan motor was hot suggests it has at least tried to start and the fault finding guide says that prior to starting the fan, it does a pressure switch test so presumably it passed the pressure switch test meaning the switch is ok?

Thanks

Alan.

Shouldn't be any resistance when turning the fan, try a squirt of WD40 on the centre of the fan it might just get it working for a day or two but it will only be a short term solution.

Sponsored Links
Sussed It!!
Give it a spray with WD40 and spun it round for a bit by hand then boxed it up and hey presto its fired up. Fan running noisy but at least I know that it is the fan thats the problem and It buys me a bit of time to get a replacement.
Thanks for the advice, problem solved (ish) within four hours of registering on this site, must be some kind of record, result, cheers.

Alan.

I tried to post you yesterday but PC dodgy.I had a fan replaced recently-it was about £70plus VAT.I have had the 280 RSF model for about 14 years and have just replaced fan and diverter valve .Up tilnow I have replaced two fans the valve,an air pressure switch and the ignition board totalling about £600 which is not too bad-especially as I have saved £1400
plus on insurance.BG wont even insure older boilers.Good luck in the cold weather

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back