Worcester 37CDi Timer/Thermostat Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have had a Worcester 37Cdi fitted today, it replaced an old Ferroli Combi Boiler with built in clock/timer but no thermostat.

the installer fitted the boiler and also fitted a Salus RT500RF programmable thermostat but didnt fit any timer into the boiler it self.

Upon reading on this forum am i right in saying i cannot actually turn the boiler on or off using this thermostat? i can only set the timings and the temperature i want at which it will turn off until it gets cold, then turns on again?

i have looked at the DT20 timer to turn the boiler on/off at certain times of the day (when we are at work and at night when we are sleeping) but ive also read that if i was to fit this i would have to have it on constant ON all the time for the thermostat to work so no real point in having one fitted?

so what is the best way for us to have a thermostat to set desired temperature throughout the day and also to turn off the boiler at certain times of the day and over night?

will the Salus RT500RF do this for me?

Many thanks inadvance and Merry Xmas:)

Sponsored Links
Upon reading on this forum am i right in saying i cannot actually turn the boiler on or off using this thermostat? i can only set the timings and the temperature i want at which it will turn off until it gets cold, then turns on again?

So kinda like what a programmable room state is designed rto do.

Don't think in terms of "on" and "off'. Think "comfort" and "not comfort "

Choose your comfort times and temperatures. Then set the rest to be 4 or 5 degrees lower.

Set the overnight temp to 15.

Job done.

Not sure about the Salus but I have a DT20 with my 37 CDi and, as Dan says, you need to think about dividing your days into zones.

With the DT20, there are essentially 4 timed zones which most people would split into morning, daytime, evening and overnight.

If you wanted to effectively turn your boiler off during any of those times (ie. during the day if you're at work or overnight), then simply set a low enough temperature and the boiler won't come on.

If you buy into the theory that it doesn't make sense to allow your house to cool down too much during those times in winter though, then it makes sense to (carefully) choose a suitable temperature.

For example, I have mine set to 18 degC in the morning, 14 degC during the day, 19 degC in the evening and 12 degC overnight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back