Worcester Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've got a problem with a Worcester Greenstar oil boiler. Both the water and the heating are on timed mode and both are activated in the morning but only the hot water fires up the boiler. To get the heating to work I have to override to switch off the water and then the heating will work (diverter valve moves to heating position) and then I can switch on the water again and everything appears to work correctly. If I set the Heating to come on by itself nothing happens but if I switch the water on and then off the Heating fires up the boiler. Again I can switch the water back on and everything is normal. Could this be a problem with the diverter valve or maybe the programmer/timer? I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it is the built in Worcester timer, check the output to the dhw and ch call. If you are not electrically competent get someone who is.

Mind you , the heating won’t come on until the hot water heatstore tank is up to temperature
H/w has priority and a cold heatstore can take 20 mins to heat up. I assume it’s a Combi

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies Karatekid. Yes it is a combi boiler. I understand that the heat store tank has to get up to temperature but the boiler will not fire up at all if I turn up the room stat at any time during the day. As soon as I turn off the hot water on the programmer the boiler will fire up and the central heating will work. As I said I can then turn the water back on and everything works ok and the ch responds to the room stat. I no longer have a meter to check the outputs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks karatekid. It’s a shame that programmers are so expensive or else I would replace it to eliminate that as the potential problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back