Worcester Bosch 240

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
A plumber has just fitted a new diverter valve into my 12 year old combi boiler and I now have much quicker hot water and it's immediate now independent of the heating. But I now have a leak with the bolt immediately next to it on the right. This comes out of the diverter at a 3 o clock angle and seems to be a simple bolt measuring about 2cm across immediately going into the diverter at a 90 degree angle. The plumber explained that the leak may stop if i could replace this part and it would be simple to do and cheap to buy. But I have no idea what the part number is (nor did he) or where I can buy it. Can anyone help here and tell me what it is? :(

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture to help us diagnose what is leaking?

hi there,

thanks for replying.

I just posted a picture as an album here - is that how I do it? - with a nice drip coming from the boiler! - the small bolt I think I need to replace is the one to the left of the drip attached to the diverter![/img]

From your picture it looks as though its the DHW outlet from the diverter valve that is leaking and it is the responsibility of the engineer to put it right.

Could be that its not tight enough or that the fibre washer isn't seated correctly, or worst case scenario, there is no washer but i doubt that very much.

Call the engineer back and ask him to rectify it. FOC!

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks Chris

WORC 87161408020 O RING

Yes thanks! - that looks like it from the picture - and can I buy this online easily?

Ok - I'd appreciate a little more help if possible. I have the O ring and have loosed the left bolt to reveal what looks like an old O ring compressed between metal.. and that seems to be the source of the leak. So. I'm a complete novice here. But I've turned the mains off in the street - but there's still maybe water in the system - I've posted another photo - the plumber said the third pipe along was the water and I've tried to rotate the screw at the top round with a screwdriver but it doesn't seem to stop the water...? Anyway, am reluctant to 'explore' any further as loosening the joint gives me more water - once the water is stopped though do - to get the joint off - do I have to loosen the other big bolt on the right side and then the whole thing comes off and I just take out the old O ring and put the new one in? I don't really know what steps to take to turn the water off and fit the ring.... Thanks!

Hi sunradio,

I have the same boiler as you, and the exact same problem! Leaking in the same place. It's been like this for many months, i've just put up with it for now, and put a container on the floor to collect the drips.

Looks like we both need a new Coupling assy (as shown in the link ChrisR posted above).

I think i also need a new diverter valve aswell, as i've changed the diaphragm but still DHW is dodgy.

Hi Ben,

I'm hoping if I can learn to fit the O ring then that may cure the leak - will keep posted and see if it helps you...

Take the whole thing off. Its a telscopic assembly and you need to completely seperate it to get to the o ring. Just put a little silicon grease on it when you reasseble it

You need a 1/2" fibre washer on the left union and a 3/4" washer on the right hand one if memory serves me right The o ring goes in the telescopic bit.

If that fails, the telescopic pipe is readily available as a spare part.
Make sure you get the right one; there are at least 2 versions for the 200-series

The trombone pipe costs about the same price as a pack of worcester bosch o rings,I allways fit a new one of these whenever i replace the diaphram on these divertors.

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the help here...
Sorry if I'm being dim, but before I buy a trombone pipe... I have the pipe and two elements in my hand with 1/2" fibre washer on the left union and a 3/4" washer on the right hand - so where does the o ring actuallty go?? - do the two elements come off the end of the pipe then - cos I'm turning them and turning them and how do i get this o ring 'in' :rolleyes:

because the only place it appears to 'fit' is between the left hand washer and the element.. but there doesn't seem to be an old one anywhere to 'replace'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back