Worcester Bosch 28CDI issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an aging Worcester Bosch 28CDI which has developed a fault where after the heating has been on for 10 minutes or so and everything is getting hot it shuts down the flame, then instantly tries to relight but only sparks so I assume no gas is getting through. The boiler then goes into ignition lockout.

If we let it cool for 10 minutes and reset it fires up straight away, but once hot... Hot water seems to work ok if the heating hasn't been on - although I don't think we've ever run the hot water for 10 minutes anyway.

We've had our friendly heating engineer round and his first instinct is the gas valve but following the fault finder he seems to think that it indicates pcb. However I've had a look through the fault finder and in the step where you have to disconnect the multiway connector and test the resistance on a couple of points, should he have been testing on the pcb or the connector? He tested on the connector which obviously goes to the gas valve solenoids and that gave him a reading which made him conclude pcb, but I would've thought to test the pcb you'd measure the resistance on the pcb contacts?

Don't get me wrong, I do trust the guy but want to make sure I'm not chucking money on something that doesn't need replacing as both parts are quite expensive.

Cheers

Si

Sponsored Links
You've contracted him to fix your boiler. If he replaces a part and it doesn't fix it, he hasn't fulfilled his part of the contract between you, so you don't need to pay him for it. Personally I'd be looking at a different part as being the culprit as it's apparently heat-affected, but as it's a gas safety related part (if I'm correct) I'm afraid forum rules dictate that I can't tell you what it is!

It's tested on the multi connector as it checks wires and components. You rule out other things to determine a pcb fault. Makes me wonder if it is failing to rectify as flame modulates down.

The engineer has ruled out everything else as the boiler is sparking he says all the pre-ignition tests are being passed, just the gas valve isn't opening.

Could heat cause one of the solenoids to stick shut? His contact at Worcester bosch seems to think the gas valve is at fault not the pcb?

Sponsored Links
When sparking is happening, the gas valve is supposed to open so is supposed to get a power from the board.

So he should have measured this output from the board.

Either gas valve, or PCB board.

Friendly heating engineer?

Some friendly engineers throw white boxes on the wall day in day out.
Some throw parts at boilers till they work
Some actually know what they are doing and have a database of information they can access on site.

There are quite a few rgi's who actively pursue their interests and are constantly upgrading their knowledge.
This sounds like a basic fault and your ' friendly gas engineer' is out of his depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back