Worcester Bosch 28si II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a WB 28si II thats misbehaving. Hot water is fine. When the central heating is on after about a minute theres a wooshing noise (kettling?!) shortly followed by some pretty heavy duty banging noises from within the boiler. At the time of the banging noise the pressure gauge is flickering up and down but hovering around the 1.5 bar mark (i.e. its not rising right up to its 3 bar cut off). Even with the noise the heating does work.

I was today advised by an engineer that he thought the heat exchanger needed replacement. He also suggested running the heating on a lower setting temprarily as the heat build up in the boiler will aggravate the noise.

I guess my questions are:

1) Does the diagnosis sound right as the HX is not a cheap part by the looks of things?

2) Is it a job that can be handled by as a DIY job as the cost to replace was high (500 to 600 parts and labour inc). The engineer earlier suggested it was a fairly quick job to replace but the draining and re-pressurising etc takes the time.

I have no real reason to doubt the chap earlier as he seemed knowledgable but if someone can sanity check I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Baz

Sponsored Links
It does sound as if its well scaled up! Usually faulty commissioning !

I would treat it in situ chemically and charge about £190.

If someone wanted a new heat exchanger fitted then the part would probably be about £160 and I would charge about £120 to fit it!

Heat exchangers should only be fitted by a CORGI !

Tony

The main part rrp is £259.107 + vat.
There may well be other small parts required.
Not many installers will supply parts at a loss!

Sponsored Links
i'm talking in generalities here nb.

boiler needs fixing cost £500.

boiler not very old really.

new boiler circa £1800-£2200 with a 2-5 year guarantee.

wotcha gonna do ?

british gas guarantee to fix it for less than £ 200.

wotcha gonna do ?

i recommend my (ex)customers to go for it.

all of us that enjoy repairing boilers independently will go bust.

thanks for all the replies...

spacethegas - i have no idea what you mean about British Gas?! Not even my supplier let alone work on my boiler :)

My question was is it something that was a possible DIY job as £500 right now is a lot of dough!

Thanks again for the assistance folks.

Cheers,

Baz

Thanks - Worcester Bosch will supply and fit one direct for £245 so that sounds good to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back