Worcester Bosch 37 CDI Central Heating Cooler than I'd like!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just finished completing an extension build consisting of a downstairs office and utility and a new master bedroom and en-suite. To cope with the extra heating and water requirements a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 37 CDI combi boiler was fitted to replace the 10 year old boiler and tank that was previously in.

The extension rooms and upstairs all through the house the temperature are great, nice and warm (with the radiator stats on between 3 and 4), but the existing living room, kitchen and conservatory are no where near as warm as we’d like. We struggle to get the room temp above 21 degs on cold days and it seems to take a couple of hours in the morning to heat up to 18-19 degs. With the portable thermostat based in the living room.

In previous winters (with the old boiler and heating system) we have never had any problem, even though the kitchen leads open plan into the conservatory (the patio doors were removed). An additional radiator was fit in the conservatory (previously heated by a Delonghi electric oil heater).

The only other radiator that was removed was in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs (starting to think a bad idea as it’s freezing when you walk in!!). The radiator was removed to knock a doorway through into the extension.

I’ve had the plumber back to balance the rads and set the heating system up, and he assures me the Worcester Bosch 37 CDI Combi is more than enough to heat up the house and think he’s right, as it’s great everywhere except the living room and kitchen.

Could the removal of a small rad in the hallway be contributing to my house being freezing? Is it worth getting 2 new radiators (in the living room and kitchen) to match the new ones I’ve had fitted elsewhere?

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as if you have removed the conservatory doors and are losing most of your heat into there.

They are not insulated or designed for occupation during cold weather!

21° is the design target temperature and you are both being wasteful of gas asa well as expecting too much if you wanted it hotter.

Put the conservatory doors back on !

Tony

To heat a conservatory is almost as wasteful as heating your back garden... The heat simply goes through the polycarb or glass roof and of into the atmosphere.. Although it does look nice to have an open plan arrangement it does break building regs for this very reason to remove you connecting doors.

I have a pal who has done this but to maintain temperature I have added a 6Kw heat pump... I guess that energy is still too cheap for some :rolleyes:

It sounds to me as if you have removed the conservatory doors and are losing most of your heat into there.

They are not insulated or designed for occupation during cold weather!

21° is the design target temperature and you are both being wasteful of gas asa well as expecting too much if you wanted it hotter.

Put the conservatory doors back on !

Tony

Last winter I didn't have a radiator in the conservatory either, but I did have a Delonghi oil heater and it was certainly warmer than it is at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Who did the heat loss calculation? What are the flow and return temperatures of the rads and boiler? what size are the rads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back