Advice on quote price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a quote for the following:

- Remove existing boiler and rads
- Supply and fit complete central heating system with 10 rads, new valves and thermostatic valves, a boiler and wireless room stat programmer
- all rads to be fitted in same position as current rads
- the boiler is to be turned 90 degrees onto next wall
- flush system and add inhibitors
- remove all waste
- register with corgi and complete gas safety record

The boiler recommended is a Worcester Bosch 37 CDI.

The price quoted is £3425. Does this seem a reasonable price as far as you can tell with the info provided? Also I gather from previous posts that the boiler is a good buy for the amount of rads and a combi shower, is this correct?

Thanks Sarah

Sponsored Links
seems a reasonable price but get the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 instead-much better boiler and similar price.

Sponsored Links
Sounds a very good price to me, if you feel you like the installer and trust him, then bite his hand off!

At a guess I would be approx £1000 more than this, all plus VAT and I am working weekends and evenings to try to keep up with demand at present :cry:

from pricing my own system up (and then buying it all). The devil is in the detail.

there are loads of different TRV's, RAD's and quality of bits... The price could be £1000-£30,000 different depending on the spec of the Rads.

I rejected the cheap B&Q and Screwfix Rads as they looked pants. I went fo the Stelrad Softline, which cost and extra £300 odd...

Then i picked Honeywell TRV's over the cheapo £6 each ones, that added another £100, then a Grundfoss pump rather than a cheapo... another £30...

So your quote looks good, but i expect its all budget stuff... :)

Its seems very good value for most areas.

However, Coventry is an area where you can get things done cheaper but be aware that many of the cheaper installers do a pretty rough job.

I saw an installation done in a housing association property in Foleshill and it was of the highest standard of workmanship. The only fault I could find was the room stat was placed on the landing rather than in the living room.

Tony

Its seems very good value for most areas.

However, Coventry is an area where you can get things done cheaper but be aware that many of the cheaper installers do a pretty rough job.

I saw an installation done in a housing association property in Foleshill and it was of the highest standard of workmanship. The only fault I could find was the room stat was placed on the landing rather than in the living room.

Tony

My course said the stat should be in a nuteral area like the landing? (away from the door, but with no TRV on the RAD there)

i am new to this please explain why you think hallway is wrong.

PS, i will have a wireless stat, so i guess it could go anywhere, where do i not put the TRV in that case?

Teaching is usually 10-20 years out of date. Partly because most tutors are retired plumbers.

There are different views but the most common preference in London is to now put the room stat in the living area so the temperature is closely controlled where people are living.

A hallway responds too quickly to the front door being left open as one disadvantage.

Some others may have different opinions.

An RF stat can be moved round the house. The TRV aspect is not that important and all that needs to be done is for the TRV in the stst room to be turned up to maximum.

Tony

Tony

Teaching is usually 10-20 years out of date. Partly because most tutors are retired plumbers.

There are different views but the most common preference in London is to now put the room stat in the living area so the temperature is closely controlled where people are living.

A hallway responds too quickly to the front door being left open as one disadvantage.

Some others may have different opinions.

An RF stat can be moved round the house. The TRV aspect is not that important and all that needs to be done is for the TRV in the stst room to be turned up to maximum.

Tony

Tony

yes, mine was a retired plum-b-er :LOL:

OK, so in my situation would you fit TRV's to EVERY Radiator and rely on the two Rads in the living area to be on "max" and the automatic bypass to operate should they somehow get turned down?:cool:

The current requirement is to fit TRVs on all rads AND an auto bypass anyway.

That would seem to conflict with the normal practice of not having a TRV in the room where a ( fixed ) roomstat is located.

The reality is that a savy owner will know how to deal with the situation. But of course a tenant or duffer will not!

So my suggestion is that in tenanted or social housing the old arrangements should prevail.

For technologically aware owners and particularly where the "TV remote" style of portable RF stats are used then its TRVs all round.

Tony

The current requirement is to fit TRVs on all rads AND an auto bypass anyway.

That would seem to conflict with the normal practice of not having a TRV in the room where a ( fixed ) roomstat is located.

The reality is that a savy owner will know how to deal with the situation. But of course a tenant or duffer will not!

So my suggestion is that in tenanted or social housing the old arrangements should prevail.

For technologically aware owners and particularly where the "TV remote" style of portable RF stats are used then its TRVs all round.

Tony

ok.

:)

When we were kids my dad moved our stat to above the gas fire. When "us kids" switched the gas fire on to sit in front of it to watch tv then all other heating went off. I don't think he could bear central heating and gas fire to be on at same time.

The current requirement is to fit TRVs on all rads
Where are you quoting from?

AND an auto bypass anyway.
An auto bypass, between flow and return after the pump, is only required if the boiler manufacturer says it is necessary to maintain a minimum flow rate through the boiler, as shown in the left diagram. If the purpose is to keep the pressure constant as TRVs close and open, then the auto bypass should be connected as shown in the right diagram; but if you have a pump which is self regulating, e.g Grundfos Alpha, then the ABV is unnecessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back