1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i - Losing Pressure slowly - PRV

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by be11aml, 12 Sep 2019.

1. be11aml

be11aml

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I've read a few thread on similar issues and have been arranging registered local engineers to come and investigate. However, I would like to ask the collective wisdom of the forum for input!

Problem is a slow pressure loss, but never down to zero. Usually sits at about 0.3 bar, if I leave it long enough. I have never seen the pressure go very high (2 bar at most). I have collected water from the PRV outlet, so I know this is passing and the pressure loss continues over summer months when only heating the cylinder.

Recently topped up expansion vessel (system was drained) to 1 bar. There was air in it and no water squirted out!

I can't vent the PRV to clear any debris, as the handle does not seem to be attached and comes off when I press it. Is there a way to fix this?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm happy to try anything simple, legal and non-dangerous! Just concerned that there is an underlying issue, which will come back, after replacing the PRV

Background

Moved in the house 2 years ago. I think the issue has been there all along, but I have had various rads off for decorating, so assumed the top ups were linked to this.

The system is a Greenstar 24i, Megaflo unvented cylinder, 2 radiator heating zones (4 rads and 1 towel rail downstairs, 4 rads and 2 towel rails upstairs). Also, wet underfloor heating with 4 zones (1 large room & 1 small room and 2 bathrooms)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. happypeter

happypeter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. be11aml

be11aml

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for taking the time to respond.

I thought that too, but there is definitely water escaping the PRV. I put a bag over the outlet to test and it filled over a couple of weeks.

Can't rule out any other leaks :(

5. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have the PRV replaced ,and the EV checked at the same time.

6. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is not how you do it, lots of correct explanations in the FAQs

7. be11aml

be11aml

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had drained the system as part of a bathroom refit, had to remove valves, tile and refit valves.

Took the opportunity to check the EV, before refilling the system.

8. Sponsored Links