Worcester Bosch oil boiler not firing and can't get anyone to come out, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Danesmoor external oil boiler with a Riello RB3 burner unit that won't fire- we live in rurally and I can't get anyone to come out until Monday so if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

I found the system water pressure was low, topped it up and it's now steady. The system fan runs, but the burner goes to fire and instantly kicks out. After 30 seconds or so the burner tries to fire again and instantly kicks out. There are no error codes or lights- only the power on light.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem which turned out to be caused by a very oily (and dead) bumble bee. Wait for the engineer.

First check photo cell then oil pressure but you’ll need a gauge so an engineer is needed so you’ll have to wait sorry. Bob

Checking for a dirty photocell is easy enough, but the question to ask is why is it dirty. Look at your Manufacturers Instructions for guidance. Monday is only a day away now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate your time. We've been lucky that it's not been that cold, hopefully it will be something quick to fix.

The oil pump was contaminated so no oil pressure (no secondary filter in the line as the tank is yay old- replacement planned for this summer).

On Monday we eventually got someone booked for Thursday morning, then on Thursday morning the tech rang in sick and they had no-one else who could come until next week. We rang a different company who didn't have capacity and recommended calling Worcester Bosch directly. So the WB tech has just been and fixed & serviced the boiler in 40 mins, and for a fixed price too so very impressed and we'll use them from now on.

So the WB tech has just been and fixed & serviced the boiler in 40 mins, and for a fixed price too so very impressed and we'll use them from now on.[/QUOTE]
I wonder what sort of service can be done in 40 mins including removing and dismantling an oil pump? I suppose with the 3 level baffle it is simpler than when you had to try and remove the 'bubble wrap' baffles, but there is still the condensing heat exchanger to clean, and the condense trap to remove and clean. given that you should run up to temperature for 10 mins to do an analysis, there must be a skimp somewhere.

I wasn't here when he turned up. Mrs KB78 reckons it was just over an hour, but still that's pretty quick. I expected him to be here half the day. Apparently it looked like he had some sort of diagnostic plug in kit and got the boiler going very quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back